You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD: Lasso Point Bug?

The following sure seems like a bug, but I've been unable to reproduce it:

1) In Designer/Designer Persona/"Object Creation" snapping enabled (plus "snap to object geometry" checked).
2) Used the ellipse tool to draw an ellipse (.25 stroke, no fill) then converted it to curves.
3) Option clicked on the North node to change it to a sharp/cusp node.
4) Instead, it added another node with a strange line next to the node I clicked on, and erased my history panel, leaving it empty except for "added lasso point".

My biggest concern is how it erased all the document history; my biggest question is "What the heck is a 'lasso point'?" I looked up "lasso" and "lasso point' in the online Designer help and got bupkis.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)| MacOS (Probably latest stable build)

Affinity Designer|Affinity Photo|Affinity Publisher

• Staff

Hi Appearsharmless,

Don't worry this isn't a bug - Alt+clicking with the Node Tool selected will allow you to create a lasso selection around nodes. When it does this, you temporarily get a different history displayed (useful if you make a mistake in your selection) one the selection is made, the History is reverted to before with a single new selection entry in the stack. See attached video.

Thanks, Sean! Always nice to find out a suspected bug really is a feature (and a useful one at that).

Is this documented anywhere in the help files? I thought I read through them with due diligence before posting...

• Staff
19 minutes ago, appearsharmless said:

Thanks, Sean! Always nice to find out a suspected bug really is a feature (and a useful one at that).

Is this documented anywhere in the help files? I thought I read through them with due diligence before posting...

It is indeed mentioned in the Selecting and aligning nodes topic below. Not a problem, it can be easy to miss little things like these! 
https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/CurvesShapes/select_align_nodes.html

Ah ha! What threw me is that the "Selecting and aligning nodes" page isn't listed in the "See also" links at the bottom of the "Node Tools" page, or any of the "See also" links on those pages. I should have kept it simple and just done a global search for "node".