You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Assigning a colour coding to a layer in the ”Layers“ palette

Lorox

I just found that assigning a colour to a layer in the ”Layers“ palette apparently can't be done via the context menu (right mouse click), although the little round colour swatches/dots show up at the bottom of the context menu. You cannot select any of them, though. When you hover above above them there's no feedback that your mouse pointer has even been detected.

However: Normal (left) mouse click with Control key works, you also get immediate feedback to your action (by slightly enlarging the colour dot you're hovering over) and the chosen colour is actually assigned to the selected layer once you let go of the mouse button.

In case this might be connected rather to the OS and not so much to AP:  I'm on macOS Mojave 10.4.6

Edited by Lorox
Having taken a new and closer look...

39 minutes ago, MEB said:

I'm assuming you are using a mouse from you description. Is that correct? Or are you using a tablet/pen, trackpad or something else?

Yes, that is correct – I'm using the regular Magic Mouse that came with the 2019 iMac. The context menu from the right mousedown looks (maybe is) just like the one I get from Control-click and everything except the color options at the very bottom works as it should. It's a bit strange...

As I've just verified:
It's exactly the same in Designer – layer colours via right mouse click context menu don't work (but everything else) but colours can be assigned when going by Control key with regular mouse click.
I don't really see where such a behaviour could possibly be set.

Apart from that:
Wouldn't it be convenient if double clicking on a layer would offer a dialogue with a few (very) basic settings for the layer (similar to Photoshop's behaviour) like quickly assigning a color or renaming the layer?