You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How affinity missed the opportunity to take the lead with webp!

@Patrick Connor  Staff member:

WebP is not yet widely used, despite the widespread browser support and advantages. As an export format it could be reconsidered for implementation if there was significantly higher usage uptake. For now we can only recommend a post-export conversion process as a work-around, sorry.

Hi,

Mac Rumors Safari Implementation of webp

Now with the implementation of webp in all browsers, including Safari, it is extremely painful to see that last week an Affinity staff member jumped on the bandwagon to defend that almost nobody uses webp and we have to figure it out ourselves.I expected when I bought the Affinity Suite that Affinity was a modern progressive application bundle and would promote the use of webp by implementing it in the export panels and making tutorials on the subject.  Webp is an excellent replacement for both transparent PNGs and JPGs. Yes, the use of webp still needs to grow I agree, but with this conservative mentality it obviously doesn't help to achieve this. Hope to see some more positive response from Affinity Staff and quick implementation of webp.

Mac rumors:

WebP images are supported in Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge browsers, but has been notably absent from both iOS and macOS Safari. The addition to Safari makes the format more likely to receive widespread adoption.

Regards,

David

Because webp is implemented in all browsers now? Including Safari! Why do you think it is implemented in all browsers?

Because they all want to promote this file extension to make the web faster!

If you don't want to use it fine! Start your own cad 3d topic and leave this one!

Wonder if you have really read my post! SAFARI HAS IMPLEMENTED WEBP IN THEIR LATEST SAFARI BROWSER AND THAT IMPLICATES THAT ALL BROWSERS CAN READ WEBP! That's great news and the reason I started this topic.

You don't have to tell me what to do on this forum! Are you the forum police? Start your own topic and skip this one!

So it has nothing to do with a point made because the implementation of webp in Safari is new!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, All Media Lab said:

Now with the implementation of webp in all browsers, including Safari ...

Not quite "now" yet for Safari -- it won't be supported until the next OS version is released & with it the next version of Safari.

BTW, your topic title doesn't make much sense: how could Affinity "take the lead" by adding WebP export to the apps?

Besides, what @Patrick Connor said about WebP not being widely used is true. This has been discussed in the other topic -- its adoption rate on web pages is still well below 1%.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Not quite "now" yet for Safari -- it won't be supported until the next OS version is released & with it the next version of Safari.

BTW, your topic title doesn't make much sense: how could Affinity "take the lead" by adding WebP export to the apps?

Besides, what @Patrick Connor said about WebP not being widely used is true. This has been discussed in the other topic -- its adoption rate on web pages is still well below 1%.

I was curious about that. Affinity is far away from leading in the fields of page layout, vector work and photo editing. They are great applications especially for the insanely cheap price. They are not leading or paving the way forward, more like trying to catch up and offer the same features many of us expect and need from Adobe. A fantastic start, but they are just at the beginning where Adobe has years of refinement. I am sure it will eventually come, not every company as the resources and ability to jump in at the beginning and fight out any issues that may come from his format. 

Not sure why All Media Lab would have expected that Affinity would promote webp. I had never heard of this format till today. Doing a quick google search to see if Photoshop supports it and found Adobe does not natively support it but you can get webp through a plugin. 

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

They could have taken the lead by adding webp to the export panels like Bohemian Sketch did (early adoption like I purchased all 3 Affinity apps in a early stage, because I believed it was something to invest in for now and the future)!   Taken the lead also means believing that it's the future and advocating the use of webp with tutorials etc. If you don't take the lead and any risk or don't have a vision of the future of web design you miss out on early adoption of innovative implementations.  

Before Affinity I used only Photoshop, Illustrator and Sketch until I was reading about Affinity. Adding webp to a web export panel will not bother anyone else who is not interested in webp and they can carry on like they did before. For webp I moved back to the export panel of Sketch for half of my work.

Nobody has said that the adoption rate is high, and it will definitely help when all photo editors support the extension.  (the chicken and egg story!)

Webp will be soon implemented in all major browsers. Is implemented in some photo editing apps and all image delivering cloud services work with webp.

Idea for the Affinity Photo website:

Picture the future.

If you could create your own photo editing software, it would work like this. Whether it’s quick corrections, delicate retouching, or immersing yourself in complex fine art with hundreds of layers, Affinity Photo has you covered. And don't forget we implemented a special export panel for the web including webp,

Because we  really picture the future!

Just adding my 2 cents, Corel Paintshop Pro has had the ability to open and export webp for a couple years now.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

@All Media Lab, since you posted this topic to the questions forum, may I ask you a few questions about what you have said here?

1. Are you saying that if Affinity adds support for WebP export to the apps, this will somehow enable Serif to become a leader among developers of photo editing software, that it is too late for that, or something else?
  2. Are you also saying that adding support for WebP export to the apps will somehow make a material difference in the web site adoption rate of WebP for raster images, and/or that the upcoming addition of WebP support in the next version of Safari for Big Sur will do the same thing?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

R C-R

I should think he is saying that Web Developers will now have even less and less reason not to favour SVG & WebP with JPG and/or PNG as fallback, and therefore any app that can continuously export all those assets in one go will be preferred by web developers, who are a reasonably large market.

Please stop picking arguments with people expressing their opinions, as if they have not expressed themselves clearly. One persons detailed explanation (or otherwise) will not influence our decision. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

11 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Please stop picking arguments with people expressing their opinions, as if they have not expressed themselves clearly.

Honestly, I am just trying to understand what the point of this topic is supposed to be, & why it is in the questions forum rather than in the feature request/feedback forum.

Neither of those things are clear to me.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

It is in the wrong forum, but it's purpose is quite clear to me

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Can it be moved to the correct forum?

Affinity Photo 

17 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

One persons detailed explanation (or otherwise) will not influence our decision. 

LOL ... we are so much aware of this *GGG* (Thx Patrick, this just made my day!)
Not even 100 people will .... but may I question if stubbornness is the holy path to success? ;-)

ROTFLMAO

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

6 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

if stubbornness is the holy path to success

Depends on how this word is meant. Translated to German there are several meanings and some of them are not so negative. ;)

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed