You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector pattern fill... again

From searching the forum I can see this has been asked a couple times but its not listed in the pinned index or roadmap. So Im just wondering, its this feature coming? When opening SVG files that have pattern fill, the fill renders empty. I have owned AD for nearly a year now and while it is my prefered app to use for vector I find myself turning to iDraw or even Inkscape as AD doesnt support required features. It makes recommending AD to anyone a bit hard when apps that are half the price or free have more capabilties.

• Staff

Hi Geoadm,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

All feature requests are taken in consideration despite being listed on the Common Feature Requests index or not.

Affinity Designer is a new application with less than a year on the market. It's not possible to cover all features that took years to implement in other apps right from the start.

We will get there but it may take some time...  ;) Can you post one of those SVG's with a pattern fill so we can take a look to see if it's possible to do a better job importing the pattern?

Thanks.

• Staff

Hi Geoadm,

We'll definitely be importing SVG pattern fills soon - particularly as we actually let you create them in the first place! It's one of the bugs I'm aware of that needs sorting soon and I'm sorry if it's causing you inconvenience in the meantime :(

Thanks,

Matt

After a bit more messing around I dont think iDraw supports vector fill very well either cause when creating new patterns they seem to get rasterized and pixelate when scaled. The one attached above was a default pattern, adding new patterns is the problem.

So my current arse about workflow is:

Design in AD, export as SVG

Open and set fill in Inkscape

Open and export for use in iDraw

Not the best solution but it will have to do for now

• 2 weeks later...

From my experience, iDraw doesn't rasterise the patterns, but at the same time, it doesn't scale the effect on ugh patterns either, which can cause a number of problems.

However, the pattern fill is the only reason I keep iDraw around. As soon as Affinity Designer has that, then I can free up the 25MB that iDraw uses

• 1 year later...

I mistakenly assumed this was a replacement for Adobe Illustrator not In-Design... I use a lot of patterns in my Illustrations and illustrator has Bitmap AND Vector patterns.  Scalability is the reason I work in .AI instead of Photoshop.  I would have helped promote in my school but without pattern fill the has little hope of giving up Illustrator CS6.  Please advise when this happens!

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/7/2015 at 1:04 PM, MattP said:

We'll definitely be importing SVG pattern fills soon - particularly as we actually let you create them in the first place! It's one of the bugs I'm aware of that needs sorting soon and I'm sorry if it's causing you inconvenience in the meantime :(

🤐

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk