You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transform 'arrows' for incrementing values up or down

I recently purchased Affinity Publisher and Designer for macOS (after previously purchasing Affinity Photo in December 2019) and this feature request relates to all three products.

All three products have the Transform panel which allows users to easily adjust values for moving, resizing etc. One thing I keep wanting to do is to click on a little arrow to increment the value for fine tuning.

For example, in the mock-up below I show both the current design of the Transform panel and what I'm proposing. Currently, if I want to change the X value from -125.4 to -125.3, I have to click the field to highlight it, click again to place the cursor after the '4', press the delete key and then entire the value '3' followed by pressing Enter. However, in the proposed state, I could just click on the down arrow to change the X value by one increment from -125.4 to -125.3.

In other words, currently I need to do two clicks and three keyboard presses. In the proposed state this would just be one click. 

Finally, using arrows is much better from the point of view of comparing the impacts of the change, as I can view the change in real time as I'm clicking up/down.

Incremental arrows suggestion.png

You can move an object by whole pixels using the arrow keys on the keyboard, or by 10 at a time if you hold shift while doing so.

I'm not finding any way to have that nudge amount work in terms of the ruler units or to have it work on 10ths of a pixel instead of whole pixels.

Adding an option to have the nudge functionality follow the ruler units instead of being tied to pixels, and the ability to control the granularity, would be another way to get at what you are trying to do, but from the keyboard instead of the mouse (and thus work even if the Transform panel is not visible).

Just throwing it out there as another idea.

Yes, this seems like a very reasonable idea, also would be nice is if I can click and drag values (to make it faster increments ) on the arrows too. Sometimes I don't want to use my keyboard and just being able to quickly do this all with the mouse is ideal.

On 6/23/2020 at 4:36 AM, fde101 said:

I'm not finding any way to have that nudge amount work in terms of the ruler units or to have it work on 10ths of a pixel instead of whole pixels.

Try Control ; it changes in 10ths of ruler units

13 hours ago, softsound said:

also would be nice is if I can click and drag values (to make it faster increments ) on the arrows too.

Hi @softsound,

you can do a drag to change the values. Just click and hold on 'W' or 'H' and drag left or right. Shift and CTRL in conjunction with a mouse press work there, too.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil