You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Error reading file from external hard drive (.afphoto)

WBTan

Hi, I have an issue where photo file (.afphoto) transfer to external drive unable to read by Affinity photo, I did not encountered such issue in the past, where all of my old files were working perfectly, only latest files transfer to external hard drive having such issue randomly. Would like to check any of you facing the same issue ?

Hard drive : Sandisk Extreme Portable SSD 512GB

Connection : Through USB C

If you export as jpg and save to SDD, will the file open in another viewer (not AP). If not that would suggest corrupted during transfer to SDD.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

If you export as jpg and save to SDD, will the file open in another viewer (not AP) - In jpg format obviously I can see if the file is corrupted as glitch shown on thumbnail but for Affinity native file, I can’t observe any glitch on thumbnail until I try to open the file, either fail or successfully open the file. The weird thing was the same file continue to fail after following actions were taken but they are ok in local drive.

1. Delete corrupted file from external drive, copy from local drive to external drive again.

2. Delete from local drive then save a copy again from Affinity Photo to local drive and  copy to external drive.

3. Save a copy directly from Affinity Photo to external drive.

59 minutes ago, WBTan said:

In jpg format obviously I can see if the file is corrupted

Yes, i understand that, but are jpgs saved to your ssd this way (directly from AP), all corrupted?  If they are, and jpgs copied to SSD via Files app are not, it would point toward an issue with AP.  I suggested jpg format as it will be easy to see. If the Files app transfers are corrupted too, it would suggest an iOS issue. We haven’t had an update for a while now so it strange if it was working before but not now. Maybe try hard reset of iPad to clear ram, or try using a different USB cable. Harder to resolve if intermittent.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

3 hours ago, DM1 said:

are jpgs saved to your ssd this way (directly from AP), all corrupted?

Not all, a specific corrupted file in native format (.afphoto) will have the same corrupted jpeg saved in this way but they are ok if saved in local drive, problem i'm facing is intermittent, some time replace corrupted file in external hard drive will solve the problem (trail and error, it may take up to 6-7 time). i may try on your suggestion of using a different USB cable. Anyway.. thanks for your feedback.