You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi guys, I hope someone can help me with this... It is the first time that I have this problem and I suspect that is because my file was in IDML, and Portuguese language... 
This is What It happens: 
At the end of the sections, in the penultimate frame, there appears this unnormal space between the next paragraph that is on the next frame, and at first looks like the is nothing in it, but when looking carefully you can see that the font size is scary small, like 1pt. So I check the style, and there are many changes that I have no idea how they get there, but they appear only in the last frame. I just don't know how to fix the space, because it won't let me clear the styles changes, and if I try to delete the space the font will to the other opposite, being huge big! 
I thought that was a tab somewhere, but there is nothing, I don't know what is creating these changings.
And that usually happens when I add a new frame.

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 18.21.45.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 18.21.28.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 18.16.06.png

LogoAPL.svg Text Divider 1.eps

I assume you have scaled an initial text frame, e.g. on a first master page, with its outer handle at bottom right, and then worked with copies of that specific frame for the text flow on other masters and document pages.

Unfortunately in APub there is no UI item which can tell you whether this way of scaling ever was used, also there is no UI to reset this possibly unwanted use at any later time.

Here a sample with "accidentally" use of the outer handle and the result for its text size:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

@thomaso thank for your attention!

Although I don't think that was just that the problem because that also happens when because of a picture I have to add new pages of the last frame and trigger the Autoflow the same problem happens in the last frame. Without using the out handle at the bottom right. And the weirdest thing is that all the text stile goes crazy, it is not just the font size that changes, also the font family, tabs, leading, etc...

I will record a New Video to show that. 

Anyway, is there a way to fix that? So that I can have my work done?

I appreciate any help! 

Thank you!

> IDML file

Besides Wosven's hint: Would it be possible that in ID nested styles where defined, which causes e.g. an unexpected style change from "Normal" to "Drop Caps"and to "Header" at 1:45 min in your video?  [sorry, I don't know how APub handles or converts ID features like nested styles, or grep styles, too.]

You could do a test with a copy of your current .afpub: Select all text of the main frames (or, if too long, over a few pages, e.g. chapter 13 or p.180 – 185) > cut > paste all into a text editor app, set to pure text (unformatted, .txt) > select all > paste back into your .afpub. Apply your main style "Normal" > add a page > autoflow > see if the issue happens again.
If yes: Copy from your .afpub a text paragraph and paste it into a new document, to make your used "Normal" text style there available. Then paste the long pure text into this new .afpub > assign the "Normal" style >  add a page > auto-flow. If the font size still happens, upload this .afpub.

I am afraid I can't find a solution, from the video it's hard to judge, not knowing/trying various parameters. Possibly @Gabe will ask you to upload your .afpub, e.g. to investigate the redraw issue of oddly cropped text at 1:38 – 1:42 min.

826551083_textpartiallyinvisible.thumb.jpg.3765e7adb6f4b845613ec01371e9c75e.jpg

Currently my only idea as a workaround is to use the "Reset Formatting" button in the paragraph panel for affected parts of text to get rid of unwanted format changes.

319236672_textstylepanelresetformattingbutton.jpg.1ac7fa7a0088c103774217fc4defba41.jpg

In case a text frame got scaled any time with the outer handle there is unfortunately no UI which documents this with a clear indicator. So it is hardly possible to detect at a later time the culprit in such a complex situation. By the way: when you change a text frame with the outer handle then various style properties get changed, not font size only – from this perspective the reported style changes in your text styles panel could be caused by frame scaling. – But this does not at all explain the change of the assigned style from "Normal" to "Drop Caps" or to "Heading".

@Tony Christian, sorry I have overseen before your .afpub which you have uploaded below your video. There I experience odd settings for the master's text frame, e.g. [No Style] assigned AND the font size set to 1 pt:

1771010661_masternostylesize1pt.jpg.0c639d6c27c7321b61ba4b9488099cfe.jpg

When I assign your text style "Normal" it still sticks with 1 pt, because your saved style has no size defined but is set to "(No Change)", so the initial 1 pt size of this master frame is meant to be used if you apply "Normal". I guess there would be a start to fix issues.
By the way I would not use for a saved paragraph style the "Leading Override" (> 'Character' > 'Position') which is set for "Normal", even if its value of 15 pt isn't different to the leading set in 'Paragraph'.

I did not test any further because I still have no idea what causes at all the style change in your video when you apply auto-flow. Therefore it might help if @Gabe can take a look into your IDML, too.

I just noticed that I don't get the issues of a different assigned text style or reduced font size – even if I don't change anything on the master page ! – when I don't use auto-flow but manually flow to the newly added spread: (which I personally would prefer when adding pages within an existing text flow. @Gabe, would in such case manual or auto-flow the correct choice according to APubs 'rules'?

• Staff

If you have TextFrame1 and flow it in TextFrame2, it will ignore any local text formatting you had before flowing inside TextFrame2 and will use TextFrame1 style, unless TextFrame2 has been scaled before the flow. If so, the size will not match TextFrame1. I logged this with our developer and see what's their view on this, but I think we should either have some sort of "reset to 100%" button for scaled text frames, or font size should be consistent.

I can't replicate the redraw / missing chunks of text issue here :(

16 hours ago, Wosven said:

Hi,

You said your text come from an IDML file. Is it possible that the last character or last pilcrow contains style informations responsible for this, and that's only visible when reflowing text?

It seems like and I thought that at first, but I can't tell you where or wich character or pilcrow it is. But I am not sure if it is just that.

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

If you have TextFrame1 and flow it in TextFrame2, it will ignore any local text formatting you had before flowing inside TextFrame2 and will use TextFrame1 style

Good to know, thanks!
Do I assume right that auto-flow (opt/alt-click the flow triangle) is useful only if I want the app to generate additional pages, but not when I want to flow in a certain, existing frame?

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

I think we should either have some sort of "reset to 100%" button for scaled text frames, or font size should be consistent.

Such a button would be wonderful! The unwanted scaling with the outer handle feels to happen more often than expected, according to the number of related threads. Besides a button it would help of cause also to show current scaling to detect whether it's different than 100%. And even "set current to 100%" may be useful since we are there already ;) – Whereas if an outer handle scaling would keep the font size consistent it would be like the inner handle, and a pity because of loosing a feature this way.

6 hours ago, thomaso said:

@Tony Christian, sorry I have overseen before your .afpub which you have uploaded below your video. There I experience odd settings for the master's text frame, e.g. [No Style] assigned AND the font size set to 1 pt:

1771010661_masternostylesize1pt.jpg.0c639d6c27c7321b61ba4b9488099cfe.jpg

When I assign your text style "Normal" it still sticks with 1 pt, because your saved style has no size defined but is set to "(No Change)", so the initial 1 pt size of this master frame is meant to be used if you apply "Normal". I guess there would be a start to fix issues.
By the way I would not use for a saved paragraph style the "Leading Override" (> 'Character' > 'Position') which is set for "Normal", even if its value of 15 pt isn't different to the leading set in 'Paragraph'.

I did not test any further because I still have no idea what causes at all the style change in your video when you apply auto-flow. Therefore it might help if @Gabe can take a look into your IDML, too.

Hey @thomaso thank you for your replies! 

That is very interesting, because in my file there is no frame in the master pages, and the font size to Text Style "Normal" is set 12pt, instead of "No Changed".
About the Leading, What would be the best? I usually set it to "Auto".

6 hours ago, thomaso said:

I just noticed that I don't get the issues of a different assigned text style or reduced font size – even if I don't change anything on the master page ! – when I don't use auto-flow but manually flow to the newly added spread: (which I personally would prefer when adding pages within an existing text flow. @Gabe, would in such case manual or auto-flow the correct choice according to APubs 'rules'?

I Tried that, but even manually the same problem occurs.. :/

16 hours ago, thomaso said:

> IDML file

Besides Wosven's hint: Would it be possible that in ID nested styles where defined, which causes e.g. an unexpected style change from "Normal" to "Drop Caps"and to "Header" at 1:45 min in your video?  [sorry, I don't know how APub handles or converts ID features like nested styles, or grep styles, too.]

You could do a test with a copy of your current .afpub: Select all text of the main frames (or, if too long, over a few pages, e.g. chapter 13 or p.180 – 185) > cut > paste all into a text editor app, set to pure text (unformatted, .txt) > select all > paste back into your .afpub. Apply your main style "Normal" > add a page > autoflow > see if the issue happens again.
If yes: Copy from your .afpub a text paragraph and paste it into a new document, to make your used "Normal" text style there available. Then paste the long pure text into this new .afpub > assign the "Normal" style >  add a page > auto-flow. If the font size still happens, upload this .afpub.

I am afraid I can't find a solution, from the video it's hard to judge, not knowing/trying various parameters. Possibly @Gabe will ask you to upload your .afpub, e.g. to investigate the redraw issue of oddly cropped text at 1:38 – 1:42 min.

Currently my only idea as a workaround is to use the "Reset Formatting" button in the paragraph panel for affected parts of text to get rid of unwanted format changes.

319236672_textstylepanelresetformattingbutton.jpg.1ac7fa7a0088c103774217fc4defba41.jpg

In case a text frame got scaled any time with the outer handle there is unfortunately no UI which documents this with a clear indicator. So it is hardly possible to detect at a later time the culprit in such a complex situation. By the way: when you change a text frame with the outer handle then various style properties get changed, not font size only – from this perspective the reported style changes in your text styles panel could be caused by frame scaling. – But this does not at all explain the change of the assigned style from "Normal" to "Drop Caps" or to "Heading".

I will consider this option!

> Here is the IDML File.   "Historia do Profeta Daniel 02c.idml"

When I open this .idml in Apub the related master text frame appears to have [no style] assigned AND / BUT its font size and leading set to 1 pt.
When I open it in ID this master text frame has no style assigned, too, AND / BUT when I place the text cursor the style "sgnatur" with a "+" is assigned.

8 minutes ago, Tony Christian said:

That is very interesting, because in my file there is no frame in the master pages, and the font size to Text Style "Normal" is set 12pt, instead of "No Changed".

In the same .afpub, the uploaded version? That would be both very strange.

12 minutes ago, Tony Christian said:

About the Leading, What would be the best? I usually set it to "Auto".

"Auto" is fine. (note that you may have altered this "Auto" default value). I mentioned the leading because of activated "Leading Override" since it is a character's property. In particular when it's set to the same value like the leading in paragraph setup. To me in both related styles it doesn't make sense to activate "leading override" as character property, I'd rather set the leading instead as paragraph property only. Not that it must cause app issues, simply to avoid user's confusion in situations like this.

13 minutes ago, thomaso said:

> Here is the IDML File.   "Historia do Profeta Daniel 02c.idml"

When I open this .idml in Apub the related master text frame appears to have [no style] assigned AND / BUT its font size and leading set to 1 pt.
When I open it in ID this master text frame has no style assigned, too, AND / BUT when I place the text cursor the style "sgnatur" with a "+" is assigned.

In the same .afpub, the uploaded version? That would be both very strange.

"Auto" is fine. (note that you may have altered this "Auto" default value). I mentioned the leading because of activated "Leading Override" since it is a character's property. In particular when it's set to the same value like the leading in paragraph setup. To me in both related styles it doesn't make sense to activate "leading override" as character property, I'd rather set the leading instead as paragraph property only. Not that it must cause app issues, simply to avoid user's confusion in situations like this.

That is true, I sent a previous version,I tried to upload the last one that I recorded the video but even after I zip it, it seems too large.
I got you! I will take a look on that character Leading Override.Historia do Profeta Daniel 01 z.afpub.zip

17 hours ago, thomaso said:

> IDML file

I try it, and looks like it Works! The AutoFlow run without any changes in the text Style or font.
But what I also did was after pasting the text in the Text Editor, before pasting back in the afpub, I delete all the frames of the section and create new ones.

Here is the last version, this has the master pages without frames, and the problem is still happening, but doing that what I describe above will work.

Daniel_Afpub_bug_z_file.zip

• Staff

Thanks for the idml. Issue logged. 

17 hours ago, thomaso said:

if an outer handle scaling would keep the font size consistent it would be like the inner handle, and a pity because of loosing a feature this way.

Yes and no. For this behaviour only (flowing text from one frame to another) I think it should be consistent. Scaling a frame with the outer handle after flowing text inside it should still work :)

24 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Scaling a frame with the outer handle after flowing text inside it should still work

Yes or no? Yes, it may support users who currently get confused because not having noticed the different use of the two handles.

And yes, when creating a book for instance, where linked frames flow over various pages and you don't want or expect frames and/or text to change in size at all. (by the way: those users probably scale empty frames and before flowing text)

But no, where text flow is quite useful within 1 page, e.g. to arrange listed content horizontally. Then the current use of the outer handle can be really handy:
a.) to scale certain frames incl. font size
b.) to scale the entire group of linked frames (!!!)

This video sample appears simple but imagine as content instead a short history where each frame shows a headline (e.g. a year) + some smaller lines of text below ('next style' or, in future, 'grep style') with the frames forced to be auto-separated by a 'Frame Break' marker typed in the text. Sounds complex but can be a useful and efficient ('professional') use for text flow, too. Then it is very helpul to scale the entire set of flowing frames WITH scaling the font size.

I personally would not understand if this feature gets lost just because inexperienced users aren't aware of the two different handles. In case a 'reset to 100%' button will become implemented even such situations will be less harmful because repairable.