You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New From Clipboard Copying/Pasting with Wrong Size

I was trying to copy and paste into a new document some vector assets I was working on using New From Clipboard, but for some reason the new document had the assets sized up a considerable amount. I would like the assets to stay the same size as they were in their initial document.

It seems like a bug to me. Or is there a reason this is happening?

I'm using version 1.8.3.641 on Windows 10.

Check to see if the DPI of the 2 documents is the same or different

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi @TanBob

Welcome to the forums. As @carl123 said above - can you start by checking that the DPI set for both documents is the same please?

If they are set to the same DPI can you upload example files of the original document with the file at the correct size and the new from clipboard copy for me to look at please? It would also be a big help if you can also upload a video showing me the steps you took so I can repeat it exactly.

Thanks.

Hi,

I encounter the same issue. It is quite easy to reproduce.

1. Create a new Affinity Designer document for print. Resoltion is 300dpi, Units are mm.
  2. Create a new vector object, for example a square of size 5x5cm
  3. Mark it and press Ctrl-C (or menu Edit > Copy to Clipboard, makes no difference)
  4. Go to New > New from clipboard
  5. The document created has a resolution of 96 dpi, units are pixel, and the square has a size of 156,3x156,3mm.

This might be "developer logic", but is not the behaviour I expected.

16 minutes ago, _florian said:

This might be "developer logic", but is not the behaviour I expected.

I think it is more due to the way the clipboard operates rather than a developer decision but it has been flagged as an improvement request

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks for publishig my post and your fast reply.

Regarding the Affinity Photo case - this is still the behaviour in  the most current version 1.83.641. I did not notice it before. To be honest, that is even worse than the issue in Affinity Designer, because even my old Photoshop 6.0 is able to create a new picture from the clipboard in the right dimensions. It would be really great if this could be fixed.

But let's not get off topic, this thread is about a similiar issue with Affinity Designer. In my very rough understanding of program logic, the contents of the clipboard in AD should not be the pixel on the screen but the meta information of the object (e.g. the xml or json or whatever which says: "I am a square with that color and that border and dimensions of 5x5cm and I come from a AD document with 300dpi resolution etc.").

(Don't get me wrong, I really like working with AD - no comparison to Illustrator which was really painful - but in this case, I'm a bit disappointed by AD since I trusted in the correct dimensions and already sent files in the wrong dimensions to printshop...)

Edited by _florian

I don't understand why you sent files with a wrong dimension to the printshop. Aspect ratio, size and resolution are preserved but with other values. Illustrator (CS6) has no New from Clipboard, you just copy from one document to another. You can do the same in AD. Or if you have to use New from Clipboard, have a look at the Document Setup, where you change back to 300 dpi and the size will be automatically reduced to 5 x 5 cm.

In Photoshop (CS6), there is a kind of New from Clipboard function, by doing so the document has a resolution of even 72 dpi and 143 x 143 px if you use the Clipboard data from Illustrator. I am puzzled, why you get the correct dimensions and PS fails for me.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed