You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen to watercolour

Pen to watercolour

pen_to_watercolour.png.02a0fb9193e5548677a66c0e9ae1901a.png

This may be well-known or obvious, or not, but I found a way with vector drawings in Affinity Designer to produce images that are much better than I can do freehand at this time.
I draw a line or curve using the Pen Tool and adjust it to what I want, then I change the line for a watercolour brush.

So I get a watercolour line drawing with a precision that I just cannot do directly freehand at this time.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

On 6/22/2020 at 5:17 PM, William Overington said:

I draw a line or curve using the Pen Tool and adjust it to what I want, then I change the line for a watercolour brush.

If you use the Vector Brush Tool instead of the Pen Tool, you can draw directly with your choice of watercolour or other brush.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you.

> As you paint, nodes are created automatically and can be edited with as you paint with the [Ctrl key] or at any time with the Node Tool.

I had not realized until now that one can later edit with the Node Tool.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

1 minute ago, William Overington said:

> As you paint, nodes are created automatically and can be edited with as you paint with the [Ctrl key] or at any time with the Node Tool.

You’ve highlighted a bug (albeit a trivial one!) in the Help. It should, of course, say ‘edited as you paint’, not ‘edited with as you paint’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)