Hello everyone

I am facing an issue related to sizing of an Image. Mostly I use Affinity Designer for all kinds of work.

Today I wanted to use Affinity photo and when I decrease the image size it got blurry.

Then I opened the same photo in Designer and resized it but the quality remained intact.

My question is why this quality difference between both software when Affinity photo is actually supposed to work well with photos.

I have attached 2 photos from Affinity photo and designer.

Designer.png

Photo.png

Welcome to the forums.
Designer, when you are in the Vector View Mode (the default view mode), will show everything as sharp as it can.
Photo, on the other hand, shows you everything at the DPI of the document.
Depending on the DPI of your document, this could be why your document in Photo looks pixelated where it is not in Designer.
Check the DPI of your document in Photo (menu “Document → Resize Document”) and see what the setting is.

You are viewing your Photo image at 447%. Anything would look blurry at that magnification. Always view an image at 100% for any critical assessment.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.8,3 Designer 1.8.3 and Publisher 1.8.3 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

On 6/22/2020 at 4:37 PM, jagtar said:

I am facing an issue related to sizing of an Image. Mostly I use Affinity Designer for all kinds of work. Today I wanted to use Affinity photo and when I decrease the image size it got blurry. Then I opened the same photo in Designer and resized it but the quality remained intact. My question is why this quality difference between both software when Affinity photo is actually supposed to work well with photos. I have attached 2 photos from Affinity photo and designer.

Designer.png

Photo.png

Hi @jagtar

Could you share File -> Document setup with us, please? Like mine here:

image.png.053aa31bb1bfed9b7650f2cc5e54d45e.png

Vector objects are resolution independent and will look crisp, natural and fine in Designer zoomed in even though your document is beyond tiny, fx 100 x 200 pixels. But when you export it to Photo it will render it as a 100 x 200 pixels image. That is exactly what you are experiencing. From the beginning you should try to work with a document size close to the intended output size. Especially if a round trip to other programs like Photo is expected.

You are viewing the document at 400% in Photo - so the document size must indeed be really small.

Try this:

• Open the file in Designer
  • File -> Save as using a new file name (play safe)
  • File -> Document setup
  • Enter the desired document size (make sure the locker symbol is closed, click on it to toggle, so when you enter a width the height will be calculated by Designer)
  • Make sure Rescale is selected
  • OK
  • Save
  • Edit in Photo

Happy? 🙂

I gave up using Designer for hobby use - a "professional" vector drawing program without actual vector features. Customers waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for.

Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can it use. Until then... I am a customer, a potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion. Currently I am slowly finishing a project I started in Designer.

Hello @GarryP

Yes I am aware that I am in vector mode, but photo itself is not vector. It is a .jpg file.

I was trying to downsize the photo to fit in a Desktop screen.

I did things like there in Photoshop and I never faced something like this on downsizing.

Hello @Jowday

Here is my document setup in AD

I was trying to fit this photo inside a desktop screen display template.

I will try your method.

But it still bugs me why I can't edit it straight in Photo.

AD.png

22 hours ago, jagtar said:

I did things like there in Photoshop and I never faced something like this on downsizing.

I think you'll find that Photoshop automatically sharpens the image when you downsize, and Photo doesn't. You may need to experiment with Unsharp Masking.

It would also help to have the actual file that you're resizing.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.4.693 and 1.8.4.693 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.4.693 and 1.8.4.693 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.4.693 and 1.8.4.687 Beta.