You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello everyone

I am facing an issue related to sizing of an Image. Mostly I use Affinity Designer for all kinds of work.

Today I wanted to use Affinity photo and when I decrease the image size it got blurry.

Then I opened the same photo in Designer and resized it but the quality remained intact.

My question is why this quality difference between both software when Affinity photo is actually supposed to work well with photos.

I have attached 2 photos from Affinity photo and designer.

Designer.png

Photo.png

Welcome to the forums.
Designer, when you are in the Vector View Mode (the default view mode), will show everything as sharp as it can.
Photo, on the other hand, shows you everything at the DPI of the document.
Depending on the DPI of your document, this could be why your document in Photo looks pixelated where it is not in Designer.
Check the DPI of your document in Photo (menu “Document → Resize Document”) and see what the setting is.

You are viewing your Photo image at 447%. Anything would look blurry at that magnification. Always view an image at 100% for any critical assessment.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

On 6/22/2020 at 4:37 PM, jagtar said:

I am facing an issue related to sizing of an Image. Mostly I use Affinity Designer for all kinds of work. Today I wanted to use Affinity photo and when I decrease the image size it got blurry. Then I opened the same photo in Designer and resized it but the quality remained intact. My question is why this quality difference between both software when Affinity photo is actually supposed to work well with photos. I have attached 2 photos from Affinity photo and designer.

Designer.png

Photo.png

Hi @jagtar

Could you share File -> Document setup with us, please? Like mine here:

image.png.053aa31bb1bfed9b7650f2cc5e54d45e.png

Vector objects are resolution independent and will look crisp, natural and fine in Designer zoomed in even though your document is beyond tiny, fx 100 x 200 pixels. But when you export it to Photo it will render it as a 100 x 200 pixels image. That is exactly what you are experiencing. From the beginning you should try to work with a document size close to the intended output size. Especially if a round trip to other programs like Photo is expected.

You are viewing the document at 400% in Photo - so the document size must indeed be really small.

Try this:

• Open the file in Designer
  • File -> Save as using a new file name (play safe)
  • File -> Document setup
  • Enter the desired document size (make sure the locker symbol is closed, click on it to toggle, so when you enter a width the height will be calculated by Designer)
  • Make sure Rescale is selected
  • OK
  • Save
  • Edit in Photo

Happy? 🙂

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Hello @GarryP

Yes I am aware that I am in vector mode, but photo itself is not vector. It is a .jpg file.

I was trying to downsize the photo to fit in a Desktop screen.

I did things like there in Photoshop and I never faced something like this on downsizing.

22 hours ago, jagtar said:

I did things like there in Photoshop and I never faced something like this on downsizing.

I think you'll find that Photoshop automatically sharpens the image when you downsize, and Photo doesn't. You may need to experiment with Unsharp Masking.

It would also help to have the actual file that you're resizing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1