You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apply Effects on No Fill, No Stroke

Try setting the Blend Mode of the Layer in the Layers Panel to Erase

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

No.. you cannot adding some FX if shape no fill in color panel properties, color fill still there at color panel even choose erase blend mode,  if removing color in color panel the FX layer doesn't work, no color from blue shape layer at the middle when using erase blend mode with FX outline, alignment: inside, fill type: contour, Gradient: white left side, opposite is transparent, I think erase feature in blend mode is failed, try for your self.

sorry if my english not so well,  many thanks for reply & your concern.

Report.png

You are looking for a layer fill feature, Affinity doesn't support it, but I use layer fills at 0% with 100% opacity on shapes all the time in Photoshop and I wish Affinity had a similar feature. They don't have any nice work arounds either right now.

What makes them so nice(layer fills) is being able to adjust both fill and opacity on a layer and just use them for layer effects.

Fill.PNG

Currently in Affinity if you don't have a set color or stroke color on the shape it will not show even with effects applied.

In Photoshop or other adobe work you don't need a stoke or color to have the effect still work.

So being able to avoid a stroke & color or/and use layer fills would be nice, currently neither are options.

ExampleWith0Fill.PNG

These fill options make designing UI like this a breeze in Photoshop. I hope Affinity Designer can one day add them in.(Obviously I made a cheap knock-off here but I only spent 30 mins)
The nice thing is I don't have to worry about layer blend modes canceling out or overlapping etc with this method.

quickExample.png.942aedde029b93b9a68e4e1b8964db19.png

6 hours ago, softsound said:

They don't have any nice work arounds either right now.

Set a fill color so that the FX work, then set the fill opacity to 0 at the bottom of the Layer Effects window, which makes that fill color disappear but leaves the FX in place.