You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Offering a font pack as either of bundled or separated product

Would be nice if you could offer a font pack as either of bundled or separated product.
Especially Japanese fonts are expensive if I buy them from a font developer directly.
So Adobe or Corel is bundling some fonts to their product and it's convenient for users.

So people in Japan are hoping you to provide a font pack.

Hello,

1 hour ago, ashf said:

So Adobe or Corel is bundling some fonts to their product and it's convenient for users.

Sure but I suppose that even the Corel’s user base is far greater than Serif’s, not to mention Adobe’s. Even if fonts are bundled with the software, font designers still must be paid for their work, so the deal is fair for them. Otherwise no designer would agree to that, obviously, as type design is very labour intensive and time consuming. The company releasing the software will then hope that their investment in bundled fonts will pay off with enough licences sold. The question is how many licences Serif can sell, whether bundled fonts would be a factor affecting sales (that would depend a lot on both quality and selection of potential fonts) and whether that would affect the price. Remember how competitive their prices are even without any promotions. That calls for cutting corners somewhere, I imagine, and I wouldn’t hope this changes in the future, unless Affinity prices goes up and / or there will be clear indicators that such bundling will be a strong incentive for potential customers.

1 hour ago, ashf said:

[…] or separated product. Especially Japanese fonts are expensive if I buy them from a font developer directly.

You’ve got plenty of sites around that sell fonts in bundles already. But 99% of it is probably Latin script rather than Japanese… Which (kinda) proves there is far less supply of Japanese fonts, so logic dictates these would fetch higher prices… But you want to get something which is quite rare (compared to how many Latin script fonts are being released) and also at a low price. Doesn’t work that way, I’m afraid.

cheers,
Matt

Hi matisso

I'm not saying it must be free. I or Japanese user willing to pay if it's affordable.
Problem is that decent Japanese fonts are very expensive and there aren't  so many choices of font provider.
It's totally different world from Latin fonts.
There are some cheap Asian fonts on the internet but they are low quality often not suitable for commercial.

Many software companies Including Corel or Microsoft are partnered with DynaComware who provides affordable and decent Asian fonts.
https://www.dynacw.com/en

So if Serif could be partnered with DynaComware and provide Asian fonts at affordable price only for Serif customer, that would attract Asian users.

Yes, but you seem to ignore the fact I had mentioned already. Microsoft is a giant player, so is Adobe, Corel probably to a lesser extent but still. Which is exactly why they can afford bundling very expensive fonts that you mentioned.

5 hours ago, ashf said:

Many software companies Including Corel or Microsoft are partnered with DynaComware who provides affordable and decent Asian fonts.

Affordable, for the end user. Do you happen to know how much Corel or Microsoft are paying for these?

From what I found googling, “Usually Japanese font has 8,000-16,000 glyph so making new fonts means you need to make at least 8,000 glyph, which is pretty heavy task.” Welp. You want kinda premium software (I can’t wrap my head around designing 8000+ glyphs, even if some contain the same components) at an affordable price, am I getting it right?. Serif would probably have to significantly ramp up their sales for it to be possible. But that’s just my wild guess.

Have you ever done any type design?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi ashf,

We ... I mean Japanese users can buy affordable price fonts such as Arphic, Dynacomware and so on.

But I know these are still expensive for personal use.

So, I recommend to consider using the font service "mojimo". This service provides professional quality fonts and its annual membership fee is really reasonable 😉

Please see the URL https://mojimo.jp/