You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

layer selection in macro problem

Hi, I want to ask about the problem when choosing a layer to apply the effect (outer shadow) when setting up a macro. After starting the macro recording in the dialog, I select the layer name (Background), record the actions, save, etc., then apply the macro in the Batch job. However, the effect is inserted either into the Levels layer above Bckg or (if this layer is not there) into the Pixel layer with a white background below Bckg. Never to the layer I chose. It seems supernatural to me.🥶 Even weirder is that I tried it in a few photos at the beginning and it worked well. I also tried to select the layer "second from the bottom" (which in this case is always bckg) with exactly the same result. I have finished 2k photos, this is the last step, there is a risk that I will open it all by hand one by one. Help please if anyone can.

Rename your layers, each with a unique label. That can get recorded as well and lets you chose selection by name when recording your macros.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

Hi Andy, thanks for the response, but I don't understand much. Within each set of layers for a each photo, the name "Background" is unique, isn't it?  In addition, it does not work as specified, even if I set the "second layer from below".  This should not depend on the layer name.

Can you supply one of the files and the macro that you use in the batch file - (where the desired outcome is incorrect.)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

29 minutes ago, s_cream said:

Hi Andy, thanks for the response, but I don't understand much. Within each set of layers for a each photo, the name "Background" is unique, isn't it?  In addition, it does not work as specified, even if I set the "second layer from below".  This should not depend on the layer name.

It should work like that, yes. But I'd still try renaming the layer. As that will make it easier for the macro engine to assign any action to it. Kinda bulletproof option.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

1 hour ago, Andy05 said:

It should work like that, yes. But I'd still try renaming the layer. As that will make it easier for the macro engine to assign any action to it. Kinda bulletproof option.

I would have to manually rename the layer in two thousand photos. If it does not bulk.

10 minutes ago, s_cream said:

I would have to manually rename the layer in two thousand photos. If it does not bulk.

No, rename the "background" layer to "Layer XX" or whatever during recording the macro only once. This renaming will apply to all images which you'll run the macro for.

Paul Rand (1914-1996)

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

Can you supply one of the files and the macro that you use in the batch file - (where the desired outcome is incorrect.)

I inserted four photos from the same batch with different variants of the layer arrangement. Everything was processed by the same macro, yet the result is different. I also insert a macro. Thanks a lot.
(these are not my pictures,🤐 the customer took them)

DSC03658.afphoto DSC03665.afphoto DSC03928.afphoto DSC03965.afphoto m2OuterShadow.afmacro

There is nothing in the macro that tells it to select the Background layer which should be the first thing it does

If when you last saved a APhoto file the last thing selected was the white pixel layer or the Adjustment layer then this is the layer the shadow will be applied to

I believe this is what you are seeing

You need to redo the macro but make sure the "first" command is to select the background layer

But since the background layer may already be selected when you record the new macro you should first do a Select > Deselect Layers then select the background layer

(as the macro won't record you selecting a layer that is already selected)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 hours ago, carl123 said:

There is nothing in the macro that tells it to select the Background layer which should be the first thing it does

If when you last saved a APhoto file the last thing selected was the white pixel layer or the Adjustment layer then this is the layer the shadow will be applied to

I believe this is what you are seeing

You need to redo the macro but make sure the "first" command is to select the background layer

But since the background layer may already be selected when you record the new macro you should first do a Select > Deselect Layers then select the background layer

(as the macro won't record you selecting a layer that is already selected)

This is it!🤪 😀 The basic premise is that a deselect of all layers is performed before selecting a layer. Otherwise, the setup later somehow affected. I don't think that dialog should work like this. Thanks a lot!