You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Showing embedded profile of original file.

Hi,

I couldn't find any way to determine the embedded profile of an image loaded in AP. I can see whether it has been converted to the working profile or if the image had no embedded profile but if there was an embedded profile, I can't determine which one from AP.

Did I miss something ?

Thanks.

--Patrick
Hamburg ist der wahre Grund
warum Kompassnadeln nach Norden zeigen.

Look in the info bar above the image (red arrow in attached screenshot).  If this info is not displayed, select the Hand tool from the tools on the right side.  The bar is context sensitive.

Kirk

profile.jpg

Hi Kirkt,

The information you mentioned appears to be the working color space, not the original embedded profile of the loaded file. Am I wrong ?

If I load a file with the sRGB profile embedded and if my working color space in AP is Prophoto, AP shows Prophoto, which is correct but this is not the information I'd like to access from AP.

--Patrick

On my computer it is the embedded profile.  For example, I have AP's working color space set to AdobeRGB.  In the previous screenshot, coincidentally, the image was in AdobeRGB.  Here is another image, with sRGB embedded, in the same version of AP.

kirk

profile2.jpg

Check to make sure that you DO NOT have "Convert opened files to working space" unless you want that to happen - perhaps enable the warning if you do want this to happen.

Maybe your sRGB file is getting converted to the working space when it is opened, but you are not getting a warning that this is happening.

Kirk

profile3.thumb.jpg.653a3761da3fb88c1cfeb2775d3ae7df.jpg

Thanks.

I'm aware of this option and I do want that the opened file be converted to my preferred working space. But I also want to know what's the original embedded profile without having to resort to another software. Sometimes, we have to work with files that we have not created ourselves.

--Patrick

I don't see a solution for this within Affinity, but by using Bridge or XnView MP or else, you can show the original profile.

It would be nice if we would get more information on a file during browsing the images, before we open them.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

On a Mac you can see this data in the Finder, or by using the "Get Info" shortcut, CMD-I.  In the Affinity Photo Open dialog, you can also see this data on a Mac - see attached screenshot.  AP is not a DAM or a browser, but the OS usually gives you this information.  On a Mac, at least, you can pretty much manage your photos, keywords, etc. and search for images based on parameters like aperture, ISO and shutter speed, for example, all from within the OS.  I think Adobe still offers Bridge for free and XNViewMP is also a venerable cross platform asset manager, along with a library of batch image manipulation filters.  I would be surprised (maybe not?) if Windows does not offer similar metadata support directly in the OS so that you do not have to use another application to examine a file's metadata.  An alternative would be to turn off the automatic conversion into the working color space and do the conversion yourself after the image has been opened and the document's color space is displayed in the info bar.

Browsing the images before you open them (via the Open dialog window) is an OS task, not an AP task.  It sounds like you want AP to employ an integrated DAM, like many others have been asking for for years.

Kirk

profile4.jpg