You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am working on a low content book. All of the pages have been or are being done in Photoshop. I am not proficient enough in Publisher to do them from scratch there. I know it can be done, but the few times I've tried to make a book from scratch in publisher, it was slow and aggravating because of my lack of enough familiarity with the program. I mostly use Publisher for filling out forms and editing PDF files not actually creating anything.

I'm just "placing" the PSD pages into a blank PDF template I have loaded into Affinity Publisher. All is going well. Mostly.

I have made a few mistakes because I got lost as to which side of the page I was on. The template is the way the printer needs it with all pages the same and the file needs to have the whole book in it.

But is there a  way I can just view 2 pages side by side? That way I know where and when I need to insert a blank page to keep the pages that need to face each other facing each other and not end up back to back.

Yes, I do have two pages open in PS side by side but going back and forth between what is already in publisher and where I am editing the pages in PS, is where I have gotten confused a few times. I am further ahead writing and editing in PS than where publisher is at in the book. And since I don't want a lot of truly blank pages, when I find I need an extra page, I have to stop and create something to go on that page.

Thanks guys

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff
On 6/21/2020 at 7:55 PM, SigsCreations said:

But is there a  way I can just view 2 pages side by side? That way I know where and when I need to insert a blank page to keep the pages that need to face each other facing each other and not end up back to back.

We don't have a separate option to view to page side by side, you could enable facing pages which would give you two pages side by side but its not exactly the same thing but it may help.

My impression is that it is probably the most complex way to create published content in a publishing program by using a photo manipulation software to fill pages. Especially so when the pages are created in the  photo software and just „posted“ in the publishing software. 

It really is not that hard to learn the basics of Publisher, and worth the effort. Just one of many YT channels that treat LC Publishing with Affinity Publisher:

https://youtu.be/WwXPX2hRnJw

On 7/7/2020 at 12:13 PM, Fixx said:

Are you doing a graphic novel or why are you using Photoshop for this?

I have not had much success with designing from scratch in publisher. I don't use it for much and use PS all the time so I am much more proficient with it. When trying to work to deadlines you go with what you can use that takes the shortest amount of time.

On 7/7/2020 at 2:18 PM, Blende21 said:

My impression is that it is probably the most complex way to create published content in a publishing program by using a photo manipulation software to fill pages. Especially so when the pages are created in the  photo software and just „posted“ in the publishing software. 

It really is not that hard to learn the basics of Publisher, and worth the effort. Just one of many YT channels that treat LC Publishing with Affinity Publisher:

https://youtu.be/WwXPX2hRnJw

Thanks for the link. I was told that the publisher needed the file to be one page though and not have the file with the facing pages per page. I'll have to try to find out for sure, but all of the templates I have been given are for one page per page, not 2. So all I want is to be able to change the view not the structure. But it sounds like that isn't possible. I thought I could with Serif's desktop publishing software from WAY back in the day, but maybe not. Then I was designing for facing pages at the 11x17 size.

It depends on how you set up the document in first place.

You can choose individual pages in sequence, or facing pages as a double, among other options. If you choose the double, you can define whether Publisher should start with a single right page, and terminate with a single left page, or start with a left page, double layout. Publisher is a publishing tools, which means it has to join the logical document view with its sequence of content spread over pages with the print shop necessities to pull a sheet of paper through a machine to fix the content to it.

It offers a lot of functions to transfer from the content-view into the physical printer-press process.

• Staff

Hi SigsCreations,
Having you tried setting up a new view for the document? Go to menu View > New View. If you are on macOS, go to menu Window > Separated Mode so you can see the document tab/windows side by side (after you arrange them). On Windows go to the Window > Float All Windows and arrange them so they stay side by side. You can them have them show different parts of the same document.

19 hours ago, SigsCreations said:

I have not had much success with designing from scratch in publisher. I don't use it for much and use PS all the time so I am much more proficient with it. When trying to work to deadlines you go with what you can use that takes the shortest amount of time.

Using PS still takes multiple time compared to real layout software. And certain things just cannot be done with PS.