You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Installing additional spelling and hyphenation dictionaries

I've seen there's some documentation about how to install additional spelling and hyphenation dictionaries for Affinity Publisher running on Windows, but there doesn't seem to be anything comparable as regards the Macintosh. What is the best way to do it (if it's possible at all)?

Or this FAQ article:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the response. The information on this page:

was helpful up to a point; having followed those instructions, the spelling dictionaries are now available when I open Affinity Publisher, but the hyphenation dictionaries do not seem to be present. (I found them on this page: https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/search?f[0]=field_project_tags%3A157.)

Perhaps the problem is the way I named the subfolders in the Library: Spelling folder? For each of them I copied what seemed to be the revelant part of the file name, e.g., "da_DK" and used that. Is this the correct procedure?

38 minutes ago, Explorer said:

Perhaps the problem is the way I named the subfolders in the Library: Spelling folder? For each of them I copied what seemed to be the revelant part of the file name, e.g., "da_DK" and used that. Is this the correct procedure?

The FAQ page tells you to use a hyphen, not an underscore, in the folder name, which would be da-DK. Possibly that's your problem?

Also, there is a Danish hyphenation dictionary on the page the FAQ points to: image.png.4161a272eaecafc2352490019ab05a94.png

I would use that one, rather than mixing files from different sites.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks for catching that oversight. I substituted hyphens for underscores in the names of the sub-folders, but the hyphenation dictionaries (I've several of them, not only Danish) did not become available when I opened the Publisher afterwards. (The spelling dictionaries in the Spelling folder in the Library do seem to be accesible in the Publisher.)

What else might be causing the problem?

On 6/22/2020 at 1:14 AM, Explorer said:

What else might be causing the problem?

I'm not sure.

Could you give us a screenshot of a Finder window showing the directory structure leading to, and the content of the da-DK folder where you put the hyphenation dictionary?

-- Walt
PC:

Yes, here are three screenshots: of the Library folder (as displayed in the Finder window), the Spelling folder, and, for example) the Danish hyphenation dictionary folder.

The dictionaries within the Spelling folder itself (those I've activated via the Mac's System Preferences) are available in the Affinity Publisher, it's just the hyphenation dictionaries that are not.

Danish Hyphenation Dictionary Folder.png

Library Folder.png

Spelling Folder.png

Thanks. That looks like it matches the instructions, so I have no idea why Spelling would work but hyphenation would fail.

Except, possibly: Have you enabled auto-hyphenation? That's set in the Paragraph panel (or Paragraph text style), unlike Spelling which is set in the Character panel (or text style).

-- Walt
PC:

Yes, I enabled auto-hyphenation in both the "language" and the "hyphenation" windows, and for good measure for the "group style" and for each of the several paragraph styles I've created under it (one for each of the languages I have need of in the document). And still the hyphenation dictionaries do not show up. (See the screenshot.)

Although, here's something I noticed: there is a hyphenation dictionary for Latin, and that's one of the languages for which I've added files to the Spelling folder. (It came from the same source (Open Office) as the others.) This makes the whole matter more puzzling.

Dictionary Options.png

It is odd that Latin shows up for you as a hyphenation language, but Danish doesn't. Unfortunately, not having a Mac I can't comment further about that.

Just to make sure of the other hyphenation settings, though, you also need:

1. This setting in the Paragraph panel:
    image.png.ecd763ce4a4f8a1a2cefcbea1b19f0d5.png

or

2. This setting in the Text Style:
    image.png.3726475e2c1b03d98a7bc0a6b2a8b847.png

But if you can't even set the language, I'm not sure either of those would help.

You might try renaming your da-DK directory to da_DK just in case you really need the _ character in the name. I have a mix of spelling directories on Windows, some with the - and some with the _ and I've never figured out what determines which character is required.

-- Walt
PC:

• 6 months later...

The method described in the faq doesn't work in Mac OS. To get hyphenation in other languages, it's necessary to use a different directory, inside the program file. Go to Apps, Show Package Contents and create a /xx-XX directory in /Contents/Resources/Dictionaries. Copy the necessary hyph_xx_XX.dic file to that directory. Open Publisher and you have access to hyphenation in the new language.

1 hour ago, Pedrober said:

The method described in the faq doesn't work in Mac OS. To get hyphenation in other languages, it's necessary to use a different directory, inside the program file. Go to Apps, Show Package Contents and create a /xx-XX directory in /Contents/Resources/Dictionaries. Copy the necessary hyph_xx_XX.dic file to that directory. Open Publisher and you have access to hyphenation in the new language.

The method described in the FAQ works for other users on Mac. Possibly you're not doing it correctly. Can you follow them, and then show us your Preferences, Tools panel, and also the Finder listing of the directory where you saved the hyphenation dictionary?

Using your approach you will lose your custom dictionary if you ever need to reinstall Publisher; using the FAQ approach you won't.

-- Walt
PC:

Dear Walt,

Thank you very much for your message. I have started to test AP, using the Covid 90-days trial version. Then, Preferences are in their default state. The only difference with the FAQ method in my attempt was the use of /Library/Spelling instead of User/Library/Spelling. I'll try again and I'll report.

Regards.

Edit: you were right. If I use User/Library/Spelling, no problem with hyphenation. Excuse me. My mistake.

Dear Walt,

I am not being sucessfull with Portuguese (Portugal) spelling dictionaries. I have installed Portuguese (Portugal) hyphenation without any problem in User/Library/Spelling/pt-PT directory. I have Portuguese (Portugal) dictionary available in my OS X install and all the apps see it but APub only sees a Portuguese (Brasil) dictionary that doesn't work at all (it's not installed, as far as I see). I have also installed Portuguese spelling dictionaries in User/Library/Spelling (and in User/Library/Spelling/pt-PT) without success. Is this a bug?

Regards.

1 hour ago, Pedrober said:

but APub only sees a Portuguese (Brasil) dictionary that doesn't work at all (it's not installed, as far as I see).

Where are you seeing that in Publisher? The Preferences will only show Portuguese (Brasil), but the Language settings in the Character panel should show Portuguese (Portugal) if the dictionary is available in the proper location.

-- Walt
PC:

It's shocking. I have installed Apub in my laptop (MacBook Pro) and everything is OK. Portuguese (Brasil) is not present in the Text Styles Spelling list but Portuguese (Portugal) is. Curiously, Portuguese (Brasil) was the only portuguese hyphenation available. I have installed Portuguese (Portugal) hyphenation and now it's available. In my desktop (a MacMini), it's the opposite: Portuguese (Portugal) doesn't appear in the Spelling languages. Now, the spelling is working in my MacMini but I need Portuguese (Portugal) spelling. Tha system configuration is the same in both computers (dictionaries in the same places and languages available in System Text settings). The only difference: the opsys version, High Sierra in my laptor and Mojave in my desktop computer. Any suggestion to get Portuguese (Portugal) spelling working?

Best regards.

Thanks for the added details. If you have the dictionaries in the same locations on both systems, I would expect both to behave the same. So I'll have to defer to someone who has or knows more about Macs than I do.

-- Walt
PC:

5 minutes ago, Pedrober said:

Please let me know if you think this is a possible bug.

I don't think it's a bug, but probably some kind of configuration error. But I have no further suggestions; perhaps another user or a Serif staffer will have some.

-- Walt
PC: