You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to make a smooth, round vector brush

I'm trying to re-create the brush I used in Illustrator which was just a simple round brush with a smooth, round end. I have one in Affinity that looks exactly like my Illustrator brush, except that when I draw the end of the line is jagged. I've attached some pictures to explain what I mean. The black line was drawn in Illustrator, the blue in Affinity Designer. What I did to make the blue brush was went into the ink brushes and made a new one and it automatically gave me one with round edges. But when I draw it gives me those uneven edges. I'm assuming it has something to do with the fact that I'm in the ink brush section, but I'm super new to Affinity and not sure how to fix this. 

image.png.e24ea2abc0aa0a02337473a7625fabe4.pngimage.png.1f62419e9619fcfc00fab94145a4a7e0.png

• 3 weeks later...

I’m not sure now where that brush came from; I thought it was installed with the application but I’ve just done a reset of my brushes and it’s gone.
You can create it – or something like it – via the method shown in my attached video (double-click the brush once created to edit it).
Note: The size of the brush is in Pixels.

8 hours ago, GarryP said:

I’m not sure now where that brush came from; I thought it was installed with the application but I’ve just done a reset of my brushes and it’s gone.

As explained here, in the 1.8 updates they decided it would be a good idea to remove the original Basic brushes category & most of its 'legacy' brushes along with it. But since that would mean that any brushes users had added to that category would be deleted when they updated, if there were any custom brushes in it the category was retained, but stripped of all the factory default brush presets.

It was a clever bit of programming but it left a lot of users wondering what happened to the old Basic preset brush category, & for some of them why it was still there but included only one or a few brushes.

So my guess is your 8px 'Solid brush' preset in your one item "Basic" brush category was one you created in 1.7 or earlier & saved to that brush category prior to the 1.8 update.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

As explained here, in the 1.8 updates they decided it would be a good idea to remove the original Basic brushes category & most of its 'legacy' brushes along with it.

TL;DR

You can download the legacy brushes via this link: https://affin.co/LegacyBrushes

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

TL;DR

You can download the legacy brushes via this link: https://affin.co/LegacyBrushes

True, but there is no need to clutter up the UI by installing the legacy brushes to create a simple round brush with rounded ends. In any of the existing AD Designer Persona brush categories or in a newly created one  just click on the 'burger' menu & select "New Solid Brush." Then double-click on that brush & set its properties as desired, just like in the video @GarryP posted.

Should anyone be wondering, the old "Basic" category really included what amounted to just 1 type of brush. The presets included solid, solid with pressure, & solid with pressure & opacity variants of that brush with 7 pixel width variants for each of them, for a total of 21 presets. The 1.8 update retained only 2 of them, which became the first 2 items in the Pens category.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7