You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad Photo: why doesn’t eye droppering change brush color?

Did you select the color selected, right circle?  The eyedropper doesn't change the color in the two circles, you have to select the color.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Are you using the Colour Picker Tool on the toolbar or the eyedropper in the Colour Studio? They behave differently.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 hours ago, VectorCat said:

Color picker tool

Try using your finger not the Apple Pencil, there is a long standing problem with using the colour picker in the colour studio with the Apple Pencil. It works at first but after a while it just shows a black circle.. However it works fine with a finger. Don’t forget you have to tap on the selected colour in the colour studio to change the brush to that colour as well.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

5 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Try using your finger not the Apple Pencil, there is a long standing problem with using the colour picker in the colour studio with the Apple Pencil. It works at first but after a while it just shows a black circle.. However it works fine with a finger. Don’t forget you have to tap on the selected colour in the colour studio to change the brush to that colour as well.

So... We have to allow fingers to select and use tools - which is extremely problematic - in order that the color picker tool can pick a color which can then be used by the brush tool*...because the color picker tool doesn’t like the apple pencil?

this is mission-critical functionality to be able to sample a color in an image so that we can paint / draw / brush with that sampled color. I know that Affinity Photo can produce excellent work, so how do artists sample and use colors in images they’re working on?

thank you!

*which, by the way, doesn’t work. You still have to instruct the color studio to activate that picked color for the brush to use it, to say nothing of the incomprehensible clunkiness of getting the “color picker tool” to even pick a color in the first place.

Am I right to assume that the developers have this problem on their list of things to fix?

I in no way intend disrespect; all affinity tools are excellent, and no software on earth is issue-free.

• 1 year later...

I ran into this today after having used procreate where color picking is super easy on the ipad to mix colors..imagen my supprise that I have to break my flow to either use my finger and drag out and pick it or if i use the color picker tool it sets the background color to the picked color instead of the foreground color ? And that last part is true for both the ipad and windows version. Please please please add an option for when using the color picking tool that it applys it to the foreground color. It is way to many steps and involved now to be used.