You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export-Bug

I consider the following behavior as "unwanted" = bug.

I created a file with just one layer, did some color-adjustments and a little cropping.
image.png.bf09eab448163c41c6764cf8d82e285a.png
It is very pixelated - it has to be.

As I exported the image to JPG, GIF, PNG the result was blurred (1, 2, 3):image.png.cf699028af8648b8915caeeefbc423e6.png

the solution is: the image was cropped but not "rasterized and trimmed" before export.

Sorry, that is stupid software-behavior.

Serif is proud of their non-destructive tools but as soon as I want to export the current status of my Photo-file
I have to use a destructive tool (rasterize & trim) to get proper export-results?

Why not do a hidden r&t as part of the Export-Task without affecting the document?

Thanks
Fritz

• 2 weeks later...

If I get this right Fritz wants to preserve the pixelated look at will. @Fritz_H Have a look at the Transform panel if everything is at "clean pixel coordinates" and not at coordinates with decimal places.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

6 hours ago, Chris B said:

You aren't viewing that at 100%. The 100% view is the initial screenshot. The ones below have been zoomed in on so they will of course look pixelated.

Can you attach the file?

@Chris B

File attached.

just open and export it to 1920x1080 (as it´s automatically suggested in the export options)
then do a "rasterize and trim" and export it again
then compare the 2 exported files.

kind regards
Fritz

Unbenannt.afphoto

You should try "Nearest Neighbour" from the "Resample" dropdown. @Serif Is nearest neighbour the equivalent to "Not resampling"? If not, no resample as an option would be useful.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

You should try "Nearest Neighbour" from the "Resample" dropdown. @Serif Is nearest neighbour the equivalent to "Not resampling"? If not, no resample as an option would be useful.

@Joachim_L

Please don´t get me wrong, but I shouldn´t try anything.
The software is simply behaving wrong/illogical - that needs to be fixed.

the Export-Process seems to work with the whole/complete image (including the cropped areas) - which is unwanted/counterproductive.

On 6/19/2020 at 11:27 PM, Fritz_H said:

I have to use a destructive tool (rasterize & trim) to get proper export-results?

No you don't, just use "Nearest Neighbour" on the export screen as previously advised

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 6/20/2020 at 12:27 AM, Fritz_H said:

I consider the following behavior as "unwanted" = bug.

I created a file with just one layer, did some color-adjustments and a little cropping.
image.png.bf09eab448163c41c6764cf8d82e285a.png
It is very pixelated - it has to be.

As I exported the image to JPG, GIF, PNG the result was blurred (1, 2, 3):image.png.cf699028af8648b8915caeeefbc423e6.png

the solution is: the image was cropped but not "rasterized and trimmed" before export.

Sorry, that is stupid software-behavior.

Serif is proud of their non-destructive tools but as soon as I want to export the current status of my Photo-file

Why not do a hidden r&t as part of the Export-Task without affecting the document?

Thanks
Fritz

This is a perfect example of bad usability - the lack of an export preview hides the effect of the resample method selected - and the effect of whatever is selected. Feedback is the cornerstone in usability!

So Serif, please implement export previews. Requested since 2015.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

6 hours ago, Chris B said:

I have to agree here, exporting using Nearest Neighbour is what you need here @Fritz_H

Dear @Chris B
Thanks for your answer, but NO.
As soon as the user has to memorize a workaround to get the expected result, it´s NOT a solution - it´s just a workaround.

Imagine a team working on the same file. Do you really expect them to think:
"I want to export that work-in-progress-file, oh wait, someone may have used the crop-tool without Rasterize and Trim...
I have to change the resampling method to get a WYSIWYG-Result...although I do not want to change resultion = no resampling needed actually..."

in 2020?  really?

I expect Serif to fix that.
I do not understand why Serif is still not contacting usability-experts. Fear?

#Usability:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_Make_Me_Think