You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Black is not black when printing idml files from Publisher

I'm a long time Indesign user and am switching to Publisher.  All of my Indesign documents have been exported as idml files.  When I open them in Publisher and print them they are clearly lighter.  The blacks are not 100% black in the Publisher print out but they are in the Indesign printout.  It is quite obvious when side by side.  They appear screened and are not a solid color.  How do I fix this globally for all imported idml files?

Thanks!

IMG_4002.png

Edited by Roger Bull

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Roger Bull,

Welcome to the forums :)

If you export the file to PDF then print the resulting PDF does this issue persist?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Affinitys print engine is not currently up to the job and can't even print CMYK or solid black to postscript devices (unless your printer driver can force black) and also seems to pre rasterise before RIP so you lose all your nice crisp vectors on all but simple pages, so pretty useless in it's current state - only choice for a decent printout is to create a PDF and use Acrobat pro or reader (or place your pdf in Indesign, Quark, Freehand etc...) to print FFS!?!?!?!?

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

5 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi Roger Bull,

Welcome to the forums :)

If you export the file to PDF then print the resulting PDF does this issue persist?

Thanks

C

No.  That does appear to be a work around.  Thank you.  We now have a way to actually use Affinity products while waiting for a fix.

19 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Affinitys print engine is not currently up to the job and can't even print CMYK or solid black to postscript devices (unless your printer driver can force black) and also seems to pre rasterise before RIP so you lose all your nice crisp vectors on all but simple pages, so pretty useless in it's current state - only choice for a decent printout is to create a PDF and use Acrobat pro or reader (or place your pdf in Indesign, Quark, Freehand etc...) to print FFS!?!?!?!?

Agreed.  Hopefully this is a high priority for them.

1 hour ago, Roger Bull said:

Agreed.  Hopefully this is a high priority for them.

I really hope so - how is it possible to move forward and break the chains with Adobe if the only option for a quality print/proof is Adobe, I'm on a mac and can't move forward past Mojave for the foreseeable future as I'm stuck with Acrobat Pro 9 (over 10 years old and 32 bit) I refuse to go subscription, yet there's no other PDF software (apart from Callas PDF toolbox £500) that does all the pre-press stuff - I've tested loads of other PDF viewers, and just like Apple preview, you can't get a decent proof out of any of them for a CMYK workflow - just Acrobat!?!?!? It would be so handy to use Affinity apps just like other pro graphic design and DTP apps and print with confidence ---- SHRUGGG! 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk