You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

installing product updates

Hi,

I own Designer 1.7.1, Publisher 1.7.1 and Photo 1.6.7 and want to update them to the most current (1.8?) vers..

I looked up on the Affinity site about getting updaters:
"If you’ve purchased from the Affinity Store—each time you start the software it will check for updates and offer any available update, or in the application main menu there is an option Check for Updates."

– none of my applications have ever updated when I open any of the applications.

– none of the application menus have a "Check for Updates" option.

How do I get my applications to automatically update?

Thanks for your help.

David

@lettergothic

Those really are (relatively) "old" versions!

Where did you originally purchase them, and which OS do you use?  The method of update is different, depending whether you originally purchased from the relevant App Store, or direct from Serif/Affinity.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Then simply log in to your Affinity account and download the latest version of the three apps. 

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

31 minutes ago, lettergothic said:

all three were downloaded from Affinity.

I believe that the absence of "Check for Updates" implies that the products were not purchased from Serif and the Affinity Store, but from the Mac App Store.

Also, according to the release notes listed on

Photo 1.6.7 was a Mac App Store version number. The corresponding Affinity Store version was 1.6.9 or 1.6.11.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, lettergothic said:

Why don't the apps automatically update upon opening as per the information/instructions on the Affinity site?

If you purchased from Serif they should.

However, my guess is you purchased from the Mac App Store, and updating there is controlled by your Mac App Store settings, I believe.

You can confirm where you purchased by looking in the Mac App Store and/or by looking in your Affinity Store account. For the latter, visit https://affinity.store/account/downloads and after signing in you should be able to see what you've purchased directly from Serif.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If you did purchase from MAS check there for updates.  You may wish to verify your update setting and if you checked Auto Update.  A side note, as these are old versions, make sure you signed in your Apple ID you purchased Affinity products.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection