You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I’m working on seamless pattern tiles in Affinity Designer and need to keep objects inside a square. Everything touching/outside of the square edge needs to be cropped. 

I’ve simplified my question on the attached image.

The problem is: It looks like the Boolean crop operation can only work on two objects at a time. 

With hundreds of objects, how should I crop the parts outside of the square? (with different colour I am unable to create compound shapes.)

p.s. clipping, masking, hiding the parts out of view not an option.

F2820690-A2BF-47A8-8028-AFEC1989EE79.jpeg

Duplicate the large rectangle place above each of the triangles and boolean Intersect each triangle.

1529104238_ScreenShot2020-06-19at07_31_29.png.197696f1ece2711851fd73c132faf5f8.png

1397486769_ScreenShot2020-06-19at07_31_52.png.f88ee5774674e37b0a81aa9e2b8e51fb.png

2141208718_ScreenShot2020-06-19at07_32_06.png.a78addb06a359789ad484ba86e040ddb.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Duplicate the large rectangle place above each of the triangles and boolean Intersect each triangle.

Thank you for your reply. The problem remains:

15 hours ago, AmyKz said:

It looks like the Boolean crop operation can only work on two objects at a time. 

15 hours ago, AmyKz said:

With hundreds of objects, how should I crop the parts outside of the square? (with different colour I am unable to create compound shapes.)p.s. clipping, masking, hiding the parts out of view not an option.

More on this topic:

I know “Boolean operation can only work on two objects at a time” because “boolean Intersect each triangle” is the only way I know to crop two objects.

When there’re hundreds of objects, AD is expected to be able to handle Boolean intersect, not repeating the above operations hundreds of times. 

Just now, MEB said:

Hi AmyKz,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm afraid there's no way to do what you want keeping each object's attributes. Clipping would get the visual result you are looking for but you ruled it out...

Thank you so much! Can I request the feature somewhere?  

• Staff

Hi AmyKz,
You can apply boolean operations to more than two objects at the same time but all of them will inherit the attributes of the lowest object in the layer's stack. To give feedback or request/suggest new features create a new thread in the respective program's section in the Feature Requests & Suggestions area on the forums. Thanks for your support.