You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Deleting page wrecks document

I attach two files -  WISS forum 3.afpub - and - WISS forum 4.afpub

In the first, you can see the before - and in the second, the after.

When I delete the blank page after the TOC, it goes to pieces. The headers behave strangely.

The right hand headers vanish from some pages, and on page XV one appears with red dots. 

This is pretty much the last thing I need to solve in this file.

All thoughts most welcome.

Hi,

With smart master pages, you can name your header text frames to make sure text will flow in the same text frame on the other pages. The second header seems to move to the left page. It would prevent this.

You pasted twice the section's name, that's why on some pages the header have overflowing text, and some page number text frames overflow too (but perhaps it's only with Arial replacing the font on my file, and doesn't happen with the original font).

WISS forum 4B.afpub

1 hour ago, Wosven said:

Hi,

With smart master pages, you can name your header text frames to make sure text will flow in the same text frame on the other pages. The second header seems to move to the left page. It would prevent this.

You pasted twice the section's name, that's why on some pages the header have overflowing text, and some page number text frames overflow too (but perhaps it's only with Arial replacing the font on my file, and doesn't happen with the original font).

WISS forum 4B.afpub

How do you mean 'smart' master pages?

Is there a good video tutorial that you know of that demonstrates this?

2 hours ago, Wosven said:

Hi,

WISS forum 4B.afpub

I watched the video but could not understand how this would apply to my project.

I cannot seem to make the basics work well in Publisher, so the more advanced ideas are beyond me at this point.

The basics of smart master pages were also explained in the posts.

Look at the file I added previously: the header text frames get a name, and when flowing text they'll stay on the right page: "walkins" header on the left, and "section" header on the right. Currently, your problem is the not yet named "section" header ending on the left page when deleting a page.

When frames have a name, the app know better, and you can create a dupplicate of your document, modify the master pages to add names and flowing text frames; delete the bugged page(s) or the master pages from those pages, and re-apply the master pages.
Next step, you'll have to copy the body text from the different sections and paste it in the pages.
That should correct the document with a minimum effort, since the sections already exists and the "section" header will be automatically added. You don't need to modify the beginning of the document, only the main chapters pages.