You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Page number not changing size

I have set up a master page to control the size of the page numbers - but the font size is not changing in the pages. Why might this be?

I have changed the font size to 9 pt in the master, but it is still 12 pt on the page to which I have applied that master.

Any ideas?

Maybe you should try to re-apply the master to the pages? But this would not be the normal procedure, as changes on the master are instantly applied to the pages ... except you detached the page number on your pages.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

2 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Hi,

Perhaps at some point you edited the Master Pages as detached. Look at the Layer panel, if the orange line of the master pages is dotted, it was modified.

Yes - all layers show an orange line. What does this mean and how should I deal with it?

If the lines are solid for all layers, it means nothing was changed to the master elements.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

No, it means nothing was changed. It would really help if you upload the file here. ;)

------

2 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

No, it means nothing was changed. It would really help if you upload the file here. ;)

I do not wish to upload it publicly. It's a full book. What are the options? However there are multiple issues with the doc, so an expert pair of eyes would be very handy.

a) Just upload an exerpt of the book. Means some pages, leave master page(s) intact, but you can remove the content on the normal pages.

b) Ask a moderator for a private upload link and help in your matter.

------

8 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

a) Just upload an exerpt of the book. Means some pages, leave master page(s) intact, but you can remove the content on the normal pages.

b) Ask a moderator for a private upload link and help in your matter.

What format should I upload in?

2 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Just upload the cleaned .afpub file.

What do you mean by cleaned?

And - how do I save just a few pages? Is there an easy way to do this?

Or do I have to make a new file and delete most of the book?

5 minutes ago, gumbo23 said:

Means some pages only not the whole book, leave master page(s) intact, but you can remove the content on the normal pages.

------

a) Page numbers: When do the page numbers do not change size? I need the name of the master page. It works for me with master "M facing numerals".

b) Your heading vanishes because you use baseline grid on the document and the paragraph. Move the text frame higher or lower until the text snaps into the baseline again or if this is not wanted for this text frame, look up Text Frame panel and check "Ignore Baseline Grid".

c) The text vanishes not really. It is just hidden, because on the master the two text frames are not linked. If you link the text frame, the text will appear.

------

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

a) Page numbers: When do the page numbers do not change size? I need the name of the master page. It works for me with master "M facing numerals".

b) Your heading vanishes because you use baseline grid on the document and the paragraph. Move the text frame higher or lower until the text snaps into the baseline again or if this is not wanted for this text frame, look up Text Frame panel and check "Ignore Baseline Grid".

c) The text vanishes not really. It is just hidden, because on the master the two text frames are not linked. If you link the text frame, the text will appear.

Thanks for taking a look Joachim.

a) and b) are okay for now. I am using M facing numerals on all.

The bigger issue is c) The text frames are linked fine before I apply the master. 

I'd like to solve the issue of why this changes, otherwise I will have to relink the entire book as I go.

3 minutes ago, gumbo23 said:

The text frames are linked fine before I apply the master.

Yes, the text frames are linked on the pages, but not on the master.

------

New issue: now the headers and footers are misbehaving.

You can see on page XIII that it is ignoring the style set out in the master. 

Also on XIII you can see the red dots on the header - suggesting there is other text there. I do not understand why.

The style issue is also happening - seemingly at random - to the headers on the following two pages. 

I have tried reapplying the master without success.

The problems seem to have started since I attempted to insert a table of contents.

WISS forum 2.afpub

6 minutes ago, gumbo23 said:

You can see on page XIII that it is ignoring the style set out in the master.

It is always a good idea to separate the styles and not using styles with local overrides. What I mean is: Define a unique style set for your page number and apply it to your text frame for page numbers on the master pages. Why applying the master page does not work on page 13 ... I don't know. But you can fix this by applying your new style manually on page 13.

Of course there are red dots, have a look into the section manager, section 4. Quite a long section name. ;)

Why your document is behaving so differently on so many pages is unclear to me. Maybe you should start from scratch with a clean structure from front to end?

------

1 minute ago, Joachim_L said:

It is always a good idea to separate the styles and not using styles with local overrides. What I mean is: Define a unique style set for your page number and apply it to your text frame for page numbers on the master pages. Why applying the master page does not work on page 13 ... I don't know. But you can fix this by applying your new style manually on page 13.

Of course there are red dots, have a look into the section manager, section 4. Quite a long section name. ;)

Why your document is behaving so differently on so many pages is unclear to me. Maybe you should start from scratch with a clean structure from front to end?

I was really hoping to avoid the nuclear option of redoing the book.

But yes, it makes no sense. I have found through doing books for years that at some point the file seems bugged somehow. 

I'm not clear on this - "Define a unique style set for your page number and apply it to your text frame for page numbers on the master pages."

Can you explain that a little more?

11 minutes ago, gumbo23 said:

Can you explain that a little more?

Have a look at the first attached image. When you formatted your page number on the master page you took the style called Base, but you manually made some modifications (overriding the initial style). You can see this at the top of the image where it is reading Base + Font: Cicle; ...

Now have a look at image 2. Here is shown how to make a style only for the page numbers. In this example I made this style basing not on an other style (looking up what is basing on means leads too far here). Hit OK and you made a new unique style. This style you can now apply to the text frames of the page numbers.

style01.jpg

style02.jpg

------