You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Seams visible on final export when tiling

Hi, 

I am a surface pattern designer used to working in Illustrator. I decided to buy Affinity to see if it had the features I required with a view to switching from Adobe and their bloated Creative Cloud. I bought both the Windows and iPad versions as they were on sale, however I am having difficulty getting my finals to render properly.

Generally for my surface patterns I'll build one tile say 1000x1000 pixels. I then copy that tile onto a larger artboard (4000x4000) to get an idea of how the pattern looks when repeated. When I do this in Illustrator I see white lines as I'm zooming in and out along the border of the repeat, but when I export this a PNG the lines do not appear - which is of course what I want. The problem I have with Designer is that there are visible lines between the tiles when I export the image. I initially thought I had accidently left a stroke on the background shape, but this is not the case. I also noticed when I duplicated the tile and placed a copy on the artboard that a .1 is somehow being added to the height or width so that the tile end up not being square. I can easily sort this by adjusting it in the transform studio, but it doesn't resolve the issue. I'm still getting the lines in the final export.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I've been tearing my hair out. What with this and some pretty glaring feature omissions (shape builder, auto trace, path and transform effects) I'm begin to feel as though this software is not for me. The thing is as a chronic fibromyalgia sufferer who can't sit at a desk for extended periods of time I was so excited to be able to create on my iPad and switch to desktop as and when. 

I would share screenshots, but I can't see how to do it. All I see is a "insert image from url"

Thanks for taking the time to read!

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Timgraphics said:

Hello

I am a newbie but I found this method from Rory Townsend worked perfectly for me.

You may want to link to the method here or nobody will know where to find it.

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD