You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Automatically rotate a group without rotating child layers within the group?

Maybe this isn't possible with Affinity Designer (or Affinity Photo for that matter). Or maybe it's so simple that I'm missing it. 

I want to rotate a group or selection of objects, while making sure that select objects within the group maintain their orientation. 

Let's suppose I have the simple design on the left-hand side of the attached image. I select each circle with its child layer. I want the group as a whole to rotate around the group's rotational point; however, I want the text to retain its 0º orientation (as seen in the group on the right-hand side). 

Is this possible to do while rotating the group? or do I need to go back and reset the rotation of each child layer? The latter is what I"ve always done, but for complex projects it would help a lot if I could tell Designer that I want certain layers to remain at 0º rotation. 

Thanks for any suggestions

Rotate_group.png

You could try rotating the group first, then select the (rotated and translated) members of the group, turn on Transform Objects Separately, and then rotate them all back, leaving them at their new locations and old orientations.  I.e., if you rotate the group 30 degrees, rotate the members -30 degrees.  While this isn't automatic, it will let you correct the rotation of all the group members in one step, instead of doing each one sequentially.

14 hours ago, sfriedberg said:

While this isn't automatic, it will let you correct the rotation of all the group members in one step, instead of doing each one sequentially.

Thank you. A small but very helpful tip. I'd never actually used the "Transform Objects Separately" modifier, so this was a good opportunity to get more familiar with it. 

If anyone has other similar tips, I'm open to taking a look at them.