You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Affinity Publisher (?) to Process Pdfs

Hi,

A lot of publishers publish ebooks as complicated pdfs. If I've bought a pdf or downloaded a free pdf, I often need to pre-process it before I can read it on my Mac or on my Kindle. For scanned ones, and simple pdf-born ones I've had a lot of success with Willus's k2pdfopt. But for complex pdf-born-pdfs, I'm often at a loss.

Would Affinity Publisher or one of its companion apps help?

A lot of pdfs include fancy background images which obscure text. Being able to hide layers and export the results sounds handy, though from the demo, it looks like Affinity Publisher requires me to select the same layers on each page. Ideally, I'd like some way to check all the layers in the pdf, select which ones to hide, and maybe then make exceptions for specific pages. I can't figure out how, is it possible to do that? I think I saw a feature request, so maybe it isn't yet, but will be possible...?

A lot of pdfs also include very faint text on some pages, or light text against dark backgrounds, or dark text against dark backgrounds. If I can edit layers to hide the backgrounds, is it possible to switch all text to black?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Marja E,

It sounds like Publisher would certainly be up to the task but its hard to say for sure. I'd recommend trying the free trial on our website so you can test this just to be sure :)

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I recommend staying with a "real" PDF software.

Publisher is a fantastic program, but it reads all PDFs as editable files and very often messes up the content when unusual fonts and effects come into play.

If you have something that works, stay with it, otherwise take a look at Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017 (last non-subscription version).

I have yet to find anything that works well. I can't afford Adobe Acrobat, and get awful migraines from Adobe Reader. Nearest I've found is to go into Textedit and see if I can move optional content groups to a hide list. But that only rarely works.