You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 1 year later...

Lens glare in spectacles is similar to lens flare when there is a bright light ahead (like the sun). Here's a video I found very helpful from the official Affinity set:

My personal notes from this:

Use Filters/Frequency Separation. Turn up radius until flare is not visible on high-pass layer.

On low-frequency layer, use soft clone brush (LH toolbar) to remove flare colour. Then use soft healing brush tool (LH toolbar) to improve blending around this area.

Look at just high frequency layer for colour. Use Sponge brush tool (LH toolbar), with Desaturate and HSL Saturation (on top toolbar) to ensure all colours are equally removed. (A higher radius on the Frequency separation controls might have avoided the need for this).

You can also use Inpainting brush tool (LH toolbar) to paint out stronger colours on high frequency layer. Desaturate again as needed.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Hi Folks, in PS there's a dialog called "Clone Source" where the copy direction of the source can be mirrored (as demonstrated in the first video). Is there any way to set this feature in AP as well?

Cheers, Timo

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

DarkClown, on 12 Apr 2017 - 5:52 PM, said:snapback.png

Hi Folks, in PS there's a dialog called "Clone Source" where the copy direction of the source can be mirrored (as demonstrated in the first video). Is there any way to set this feature in AP as well?

Cheers, Timo

yeah it is in the top bar 

Can't find mirroring in AP clone stamp. Source as Current Layer, etc. but not mirroring. Am I missing something?

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

For mirroring a cloned area, you can:

• Add new pixel layer (Layer/New Layer). Stay on this layer for the steps below.
  • Select Clone Stamp tool. On top bar, set Source: Current Layer & Below.
  • Clone the area you want to mirror, placed only roughly where it should go (it won't yet be mirrored).
  • Arrange/Flip Horizontal (this flips just the cloned area).
  • Use Move tool (arrow on left toolbar) to drag the mirrored clone into exact place.
  • Erase unwanted parts of the cloned area with left toolbar Erase Brush (or use masking).

Because this is all done on a new layer, it is non-destructive and can be adjusted later. You can also Layer/Merge Down to squish it into the original layer if you like.

Dave Straker

The technique from the Phlearn video was to clone portions of one eye to replace the eye with the eyeglass glare. To account for the right-left issues, the Clone Stamp tool was flipped horizontally (mirrored, as you say). This can all be done in Affinity Photo, through settings in the Context Toolbar. As far as I can tell, the only advantage in Photoshop is that "Scale" option can have different horizontal and vertical percentages (though I personally don't see much of a limitation there). In the screen shot attached, I've chosen to flip the Clone Stamp horizontally, and have done so on the same layer as the photo being altered. Obviously, there is much to be said for using a new pixel layer, and this is heartily recommended!

post-12953-0-69165200-1492030186_thumb.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Oh yes! The flipping bits seems to have fallen off the right hand edge of my Surface Pro. Little arrow things revealed them.

So:

• Select clone tool.
  • Find 'flip' on top toolbar on right. Maybe clicking little double-arrow thing. Select Flip Horizontal.
  • Clone away! (possibly on a new pixel layer).

Thanks, smadell. Learned something new today!

Dave Straker