You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Google drive! Cant save, again....

Hello.

I know there is many topics about this but, still impossible for me to just:

1 - Save my files from my PC to my google drive folder

2 - open it on my ipad affinity photo app and then

3 - SAVE this file FROM my Ipad to my google drive folder.

I cant understand why such simple task is driving me crazy!!  the apps just cant work together....I just need save my affinity file from IPAD straight to my google drive folder....

Thanks.

Know you’re frustrated, so apologize for the works for me...as it it is how you are attempting to do so, I think.

In Affinity App, files should always be saved first as pressing ‘Close’ on files options deletes everything completely.

Also, having used Procreate, know there is ability to save the actual file directly to Google Drive, Dropbox etc, just see no direct way in Affinity yet so use this method.

Saving the actual Affinity File (original, layers and all..)

App should be open displaying your Gallery.

On the Gallery File Image should be a = type symbol in right bottom corner, press and should get “Close/Rename/Duplicate/Save” option.

’Save’ saves the file on your iPad. On your iPad go to Files>Affinity (photo or designer). Select file then Share>GoogleDrive.

While in Affinity (exporting an image...this is for image only, not actual Affinity File)

Exporting an Image created, simply hit Export>Share (bottom left corner)>Google Drive. Select location desired, Upload.

On 6/18/2020 at 5:05 AM, StudioJason said:

On the Gallery File Image should be a = type symbol in right bottom corner, press and should get “Close/Rename/Duplicate/Save” option.

Have you tried 'Save a Copy' in the Worksheet Document menu? After naming file and tapping Save, Files app appears and you navigate to a location of your choice. You would then need to open the copy (Open from Cloud) and then edit. You will now have a new 'Save' option in Worksheet Document menu. Saves will now update the saved copy in its saved location. Works for local, iCloud, Dropbox etc, though I don’t use a Google Drive so can’t verify that for you.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same issue. I can not export or save the file from my Ipad to the google drive. When I open the files and go to google drive, I can see the files there but they are grayed out with a red circle with a white line. It doesn't even work when I export it as a PNG. Same thing gray file with red circle and white line. Was there a fix for this?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having a similar issue, but with Export. The option to export to google drive is grayed out. I contacted google drive support and they told me

Our higher support said that Google Drive is working as intended. The problem is with Affinity Designer app. Our higher support recommends to contact the support for this app.

So this is an affinity problem. Other apps work fine. Any chance of an update? This complicates my workflow significantly.

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, ascientist said:

I was able to save directly to google drive through "export," then "Share."

This is exactly what I'm trying to do on mine, but google drive is grayed out. Going back up the thread, seems like it worked for a few people but not everyone. What version of iOS are you using? Did you do anything special with the authentication settings on gdrive?  I would like to get this working and so far haven't heard anything from official support...

• Staff

@ddd123123, if it's working correctly for other users then it may be due to a local setting/issue with your iPad.

Have you tried removing both the Google Drive and Affinity app from your iPad, then downloading and installing the latest versions?

I would recommend installing Google Drive before Affinity, so that the Google Drive 'location' is already accessible through Files.

What format are you trying to export to? Have you tried exporting to a different format?

What happens if you export to your iPad storage - can you then move the file to GDrive using Files successfully?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

20 minutes ago, Dan C said:

@ddd123123, if it's working correctly for other users then it may be due to a local setting/issue with your iPad.

Have you tried removing both the Google Drive and Affinity app from your iPad, then downloading and installing the latest versions?

I would recommend installing Google Drive before Affinity, so that the Google Drive 'location' is already accessible through Files.

What format are you trying to export to? Have you tried exporting to a different format?

What happens if you export to your iPad storage - can you then move the file to GDrive using Files successfully?

thanks @Dan C 

• yes, may be a local setting/issue, but as you can see from reading the thread, @Montecristo @Lostgraphics and @rodrigolimatattoo are also having exactly the same issue, plus presumably many other users who haven't reported it. So might be worth looking in to. I've tried changing all the Drive settings I could find but it didn't seem to help - would be great to know what settings/versions people have used successfully!
  • I already tried reinstalling Drive, that didn't help - will try reinstalling Affinity Designer as well.
  • I've been trying PNG via export, will try other formats.
  • Saving to local storage works correctly
  • Other apps (Files, Procreate, etc) seem to be able to access Drive just fine.

Will test further and let you know

@Dan C Ok, I just uninstalled both Drive and Affinity Designer, updated to the latest iOS (14.4), reinstalled drive, then reinstalled Affinity. I also from the Drive app went to Settings and turned off Privacy Screen, to see if that helped. None of it made a difference at all (apart from deleting my custom swatches and brushes, luckily I backed up my work before deleting Affinity).

I just tested it throughly (and suggest you do the same!)

Google Drive does seem to work correctly (ie it's not grayed out, see first screenshot) when you use the following routes:

1. Document Menu -> Export (although weirdly when you press 'OK' it doesn't do anything, you have to press 'Share' and save to files
  2. Document Menu -> Save A Copy

image.png.e9713f69e7c5ee5500e8cf9688eacf41.png

Google Drive export does NOT seem to work correctly (ie it's grayed out, see second screenshot) when you use any of the following methods:

1. Export Persona -> Slices Menu -> Choose Export Folder
  2. Export Persona -> Slices Menu -> Export specific slice
  3. Export Persona -> Slices Menu -> Export All

image.png.ecfc021548bb1958117a3cbe0fa09f0e.png

This is pretty weird inconsistent behaviour, and I suspect the users who succeeded in exporting may have used the first methods, and those who couldn't get it working were using the second group.

As it stands, nothing in the Export Persona works properly with Google Drive, on my iPad Pro at least, which definitely seems like a bug to me!

Can someone else run through these tests and let us know if it works? Could really use a fix for this!

Thanks

More observations:

• if I use ‘Save a Copy’ to save an .afdesign to google drive, the file gets created, but then when I go “open from cloud” the file is grayed out, although the thumbnail appears correctly (see image).
  • if I use the Files app to copy an .afdesign file to google drive, and try to open it from within Affinity using “open from cloud”, again, it’s grayed out but the thumbnail appears correctly
  • if I use the Files app to open that file, it opens correctly in Affinity Designer, and then saves changes correctly back to google drive. I’m using this as a workaround for the minute.

This feels very unreliable, not sure I would trust this for a big project to be honest.

image.thumb.png.6395dd47fae91b7cc4016ace197d16b2.png

• Staff

Apologies for the delayed response here and many thanks for the further information provided from your tests :)

On 1/28/2021 at 3:02 PM, ddd123123 said:

Google Drive export does NOT seem to work correctly (ie it's grayed out, see second screenshot) when you use any of the following methods:

1. Export Persona -> Slices Menu -> Choose Export Folder
  2. Export Persona -> Slices Menu -> Export specific slice
  3. Export Persona -> Slices Menu -> Export All

I can confirm this is a known issue that's logged with our developers, however the bug report has the following comment:

"This is not an issue we can fix, this is an iOS issue.

iPadOS 13.1 has changed from previous versions by greying out any third party drive that haven't supported their API completely. This requires the third party to support the Files API properly, as this export path from Affinity requires 'Folder Output' support, which is only officially supported in iPadOS 13."

It would appear that without GDrive adding support for this Files feature, it will remain greyed out here, my apologies.

On 1/28/2021 at 10:17 PM, ddd123123 said:
  • if I use ‘Save a Copy’ to save an .afdesign to google drive, the file gets created, but then when I go “open from cloud” the file is grayed out, although the thumbnail appears correctly (see image).
  • if I use the Files app to copy an .afdesign file to google drive, and try to open it from within Affinity using “open from cloud”, again, it’s grayed out but the thumbnail appears correctly

I have also been able to replicate the above, and I don't believe this has been logged previously. I'm not entirely certain for the cause of this, perhaps it's related to the permissions written to the file.

I will log this separately with our developers now so that it can be investigated and hopefully fixed in the future!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Just a couple comments -

1 - experiencing the same issues (regardless of the means of placing a file in Google Drive - save a copy or upload from the iPad - the file only appears grayed out and is not available )

2 - new iPad (within a month) - running iPadOS 14.3

3 - Google Drive was loaded prior Affinity

4 - moved a photo from my MacBook to Google Drive and then into Affinity Photo on the iPad without a problem

Just saying - there seems to be more here than it being an iPadOS 13 issue

• Staff

Hi @JohnB3113,

Welcome to the forums :)

Many thanks for the further details added here, I will be sure to provide this to the developers investigating this issue!

17 minutes ago, JohnB3113 said:

Just saying - there seems to be more here than it being an iPadOS 13 issue

Apologies, my above post could have been a little clearer in this regard - these features were added to iPad OS 13 but are included in any newer versions of iPad OS, so iPad OS 14 is also affected.

Please note -

Many thanks!

One more quick comment

This apprears to be only a Google Drive issue

Just did a quick test using OneDrive (Microsoft) - this one works as it should (imported from OneDrive, changed and did Save copy to OneDrive - file appeared in the drive and useable on my MacBook)

Would be great if worked the same with Google Drive