You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Once again, Eye Candy does NOT work in Mac App Store Version

With the release of the new beta, I finally updated my Mac App Store version of APhoto to 1.8.3. Once again, as in the past few releases for Mac App Store, Eye Candy will NOT open at all. I had waited specifically (and patiently) for the new 1.8.4.x beta to be released so that I had an option to still be able to use EC, guessing that the identical problem with EC may likely be in the App Store version again. And sure enough, it is still there.

Please, please, please. With 1.8.4, can you finally get EC to open in the App Store release? And if it is simply impossible to get it to work with the App Store version, please let us know so that we can go ahead and purchase another copy via your store. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has the App store version and uses EC (or wants to). As it is right now, unless there is a beta available, it simply does not open in 1.8.3 App Store.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

• Staff

Hey nwhit,

This is because of Sandboxing. Eye Candy is not an officially supported plugin for the App Store versions or even the Affinity Store version. I would not recommend buying an Affinity Store version as we could not guarantee it would always work, due to not officially supporting it.

7 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey nwhit,

This is because of Sandboxing. Eye Candy is not an officially supported plugin for the App Store versions or even the Affinity Store version. I would not recommend buying an Affinity Store version as we could not guarantee it would always work, due to not officially supporting it.

I can appreciate what you're saying. On the other hand, EC has never had an issue in most all of the betas. Works fine. That does lead me to believe that the issue lies in the Mac App Store version and, as you say, sandboxing. In the release version Mac Bugs forum, a poster did report that EC works in 1.8.3. As was the case in 1.8.2 and 1.8.1.

So I guess I am now spoiled enough using Affinity apps as opposed to my antique CS5 apps, it would be worth the extra $50 to be able to regularly use EC within APh. Also hoping that you can support EC in the future. It is a very useful tool and greatly reduces time/costs for our clients.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

I finally gave up and purchased Photoshop Elements for the one purpose of running EC on an object layer

then bringing it back to AP.

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

1 hour ago, TomM1 said:

I finally gave up and purchased Photoshop Elements for the one purpose of running EC on an object layer

then bringing it back to AP.

TomM1, are you using the Mac App Store version or the Affinity store one? I keep thinking that since virtually all of the betas have allowed EC to work that likely the Affinity store version also would (since it's not having to deal with the stricter sandboxing issues of the App Store software). To me, spending $50 for a new copy from the Affinity store in order to get it to work wouldn't be the end of the world.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

It’s from the App Store. If they guaranteed it would work I would pay again. But they don’t. 
And EC never worked for me in the betas or a trial version. 

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

14 hours ago, TomM1 said:

It’s from the App Store. If they guaranteed it would work I would pay again. But they don’t. 
And EC never worked for me in the betas or a trial version. 

I have never had a problem with EC in the betas, other than the preview doesn't show correctly sometimes and the window needs to be adjusted for size to get a correct preview. It works in the current/new beta, so you may want to try that.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.