You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Repeat patterns with live pattern preview not lining up when importing images

Hello all,

I have also been having trouble with using the pattern preview method (a la Liz Kohler) with Affinity.  When I use the process using some simple artwork made within Affinity, I have no problems.   However, I use photoshop for all of my art and so would like to import images or layers from images into Affinity to make into a pattern.  I have used several methods to copy/paste or import images into Affinity.  However,  when I try to create a pattern with these, the size and position of the symbol boxes change so the pattern does not match up.  I start with Artboard 1 at 3000x3000 px with my art in 3 layers.  Artboard 2 is made of up four 3000x3000 squares (as described in Liz's video).  As soon as I duplicate and move one of the layers on Artboard 1, the corresponding squares on  Artboard 2 change size so the pattern doesn't match correctly.

Since I am successful with my test run using art made within affinity, the problem has to be with the imported art.  Can anyone help me understand what I am doing wrong?

Thanks very much, 

Laura/GinkgobyLaura.com

Hi @Laura_GinkgobyLaura

Welcome to the forums. I have split this because your post sounds like a slightly different issue. If you could try and create new threads in future when an issue is not identical it would help us recreate the issue properly.

Can you upload a video of what is happening and also upload the file you use in the video so I can take a closer look. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.  After reading more posts here on the topic of making patterns with Affinity Designer, it seems that there is an issue when working with raster images.  Do you know if the developers are working on this issue?  I can make a video, but it seems like my problem is similar to that of others and there has been no solution for them.....

Hi @Laura_GinkgobyLaura Without actually seeing your specific issue I wouldn't be able to comment. The reason why we ask for videos of the issue in action or the OP's files is so we can have a closer look at the issue so we can isolate it. Once we have this information we can either report a new issue or pass on the details to strengthen an existing issue. If an issue is already known we pass on the new videos / files to the development staff so they can get more information on the problem. It helps to know how often people are encountering the same problems. We also like to see if we can offer workarounds where possible too.