You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi All,

Still finding my way around Affinity after upgrading from DrawPlus X3 a few days ago! It's quite a step-up but so far I'm finding Affinity quite intuitive and I'm enjoying finding all the things I could never do before! I'm running it on Windows 10 on a machine that's a few years old now. It's probably time for an upgrade of that too, so I was wondering what you guys out there would recommend for Affinity use? I'm not looking at a pro set up here - something more mid-range would be the ideal.

Your thoughts appreciated - thanks in advance.

JL

I'm loving using Affinity, but my machine is slowing it down. I'm finding text is slow to type in and images can take ages to drag around etc. I'm assuming this is because my machine (bog standard home PC) can't keep up with the fab capabilities of affinity! So what's the minimum spec I should be looking for in a replacement? I can't afford a pro-Mac! :( lol

Cheers.

JL

50 minutes ago, J L said:

I can't afford a pro-Mac! :( lol

dd2.jpg.320d950b967a4a25351bebf30691d1ec.jpg

Damn it and I just wanted to recommend a Mac Pro!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

You can get pretty good laptops used to work with affinity. As long as it has a minimal video card & a good CPU then you are good to go. 
I bought the minimum gaming laptop version from Lenovo cheap since it was used for a model. 
I think you could find a good laptop for around 600 euro with a i5 processor found one for 600 euro here I would do some research. 
And Macbooks are expensive, want to pay more than necessary for a laptop ? Buy a Macbook.

Affinity utilizes the power of your machine so much that everything else works more or less like a joke. Even Microsoft office is no match in responsiveness. 
If you search for a word in a MS Word document it will take some seconds before it finds it if the document is 300 pages. There is even a small delay with 50 pages gives enough info.
But in Affinity when i tested with 50 pages it was lightning speed & nothing indicates that there will be a delay with 300 pages or 400, not when it is that fast.

It is very fascinating how they pull this off almost like magic. They seem to utilize everything better than the rest. 
There is one exception i can think of and that is giant tables that stretch for 20+ A4 pages but they will fix that, i reported it. 
I came from the Adobe side and i have dropped them completely  now even though i own illustrator. Never again will i make work on that classical time consuming software.
How they managed to make Bill Gates look stupid with their "office" software is beyond me but awesome it is. 

Many thanks to you both for your replies. As you say Desmild, I need to do some research!

I found some spec info on the forum help pages which I will have a dig through.

Thanks again!

JL