You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF with embedded fonts: Photo displays replacement fonts

Dear Affinity service team,

I've got a PDF by an editorial office of a newspaper. The fonts in this PDF are embedded (they are not converted into paths).

If I open this PDF in Affinity Photo, I don't get the original fonts of the PDF document but replacement fonts. Sometimes, I have to convert a PDF into a pixel image. It's very important, that the embedded fonts remain im my pixel image.

If I open this PDF in Adobe Photoshop instead, I got the original fonts of the PDF. This shows me, that it is possible to maintain the embedded fonts.

12 minutes ago, Rumpelstilzchen said:

Hello Chris B,

Thank you for your answer, I hope this feature will be included in version 2.

Would it be useful for the Affinity developer team if I post my opening text in the 'Feature Requests & Suggestions' forum instead?

I think this is a well-known problem. It has to do with editable and passthrough imports of PDFs. Present in some discussions here.

Thanks for reading.

................................................................................
macOS 10.13.6 | MacBookPro | 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 | Affinity Suite

• Staff
2 hours ago, Rumpelstilzchen said:

Hello Chris B,

Would it be useful for the Affinity developer team if I post my opening text in the 'Feature Requests & Suggestions' forum instead?

No need. I'll pop this thread over. I think many people would love to see this feature in version 2! 

2 hours ago, Rumpelstilzchen said:

Hello Chris B,

It has been discussed and requested since beta days before it was fully released. I can see them waiting till V2 as it will be big selling feature to get people to upgrade. 

• 1 month later...

This topic is brought up again and again, even as far as 2017.

It is the highest on annoyance list as I use Affinity a lot for annotating heavily CADs, beyond what PDF handlers can provide, and creating figures and media based on PDFs. Often I get a PDF with embedded fonts from sources I can't control (datasheets, received CADs, etc.). The files are usually large drawings; rendering a flat pixel image is unthinkable (300dpi A2, yeah right haha). My workaround is to get a postscript version of the file by "printing" it through Postscript drivers (but then I also lose some editability).