You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add customized brushes to AP

• Staff

Hi Shuttrbugin,

Welcome to the forums!

While in the program if you go to the brushes tab at the top righthand side, you will see a few horizontal lines with an arrow head pointing downwards next to the word brushes. If you click these lines a drop down menu will appear. At the bottom of the drop down menu you will see New image brush select this option, it will ask you for a picture that you would like to turn into a brush. Once you have selected your image a new custom brush created from your image will appear in your brushes tab.

You can also look at this video for how to do this in Affinity Designer it is more or less the same.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I have a Signature Brush that I created in APhoto that consists of my name, the year, and the copyright symbol on a transparent background so I know it can be done.  I followed Callum's method above but this time, I get a brush text on a white background.  I tried using both the Artistic Text tool and the Frame Text tools, and also exporting it as a JPG selection without background.  What am I doing wrong?  

I just tried this.

Created a document (It doesn't need to be transparent).

Use the artistic text tool and type the signature.

Export the file as jpeg.

Make a new document. In the brush panel use the "hamburger menu" Chose "Make new intensity brush"

Open the file I just exported. 

I found the new brush in the basic brush drop down menu (which I had open when i created the brush) at the bottom of the list.

You could also make a new category and put it in there.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Thanks, jmac!  PNG was the key step for a transparent background.  And believe you me, I have now written these instructions down in Index Card on my iPad, along with all my other "How To"s.  Because I know I won't remember how by the next time I need to do one.  :)