You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Blur Tool does nothing

i created these shapes in AD and then raterized in AP. I can't blur them, and I also couldn't use the flood fill tool on them. I am trying to blur that small gradient so that it blends in more to the background. This shape that I am blurring is a clone of the group below. When raterizing, it looks like the whole group was converted to a layer. The blur tool does work however, when trying to blur the shape outside of it's lines (works when dragging the blur tool from the shape to the white.

I do see blur occurring in your video. It is just very subtle. If you zoom in you will see it more obvious. Try to increase Flow and Opacity if currently less than 100.

A more intense blur effect gets applied with an fx or live filter. It will affect an entire layer, so you might want to paint a mask to limit its area. The mask itself can be sharp edged or painted with a soft edge brush, too.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

Hi Samweow,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Do you mind uploading the file shown in your video for us to check please? Here's an upload link to send it directly to us. Thanks.

Hi Redfilm,
Can you please zoom in a bit a check again if the blur is being applied or not - the effect may be a little subtle and hardly visible at 100%. Use the History panel to go back and forth to see if there's any difference or if does really do nothing.
If you untick Enable Metal compute acceleration, in Affinity Photo Performance section does it still fail for you? Thanks.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi Redfilm,
Can you please zoom in a bit a check again if the blur is being applied or not - the effect may be a little subtle and hardly visible at 100%. Use the History panel to go back and forth to see if there's any difference or if does really do nothing.
If you untick Enable Metal compute acceleration, in Affinity Photo Performance section does it still fail for you? Thanks.

Hello MEB
Thank you for your response. I followed your instructions and despite this, the blurring applied is really very very minimal. Before the last update, I could apply a much more pronounced blur with this tool. 

Thank you

8 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Redfilm,
Thanks for taking a look. This is already logged to be looked at. I've moved the thread moved to the bugs section.

As you can see on this screenshot, I can't manage to change the Metal mode ...

preference AP.png

13 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Redfilm,
Thanks for taking a look. This is already logged to be looked at. I've moved the thread moved to the bugs section.

Oops ... Sorry! I found my mistake! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

> I can't manage to change the Metal mode ... (...) Sorry! I found my mistake!

This UI glitch confused me, too. Actually I would expect the checkbox for generally enabling the Metall option to be in the UI directly above (or below) the according pulldown menu.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1