You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

added noise problems

srg

1 hour ago, srg said:

I add noise, then when I save in TIFF or Jpeg it does not sow. Also if I merge layers (down or visible) the added noise does not show.

Could you upload an example file in .afphoto format please? 🙂

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

23 minutes ago, srg said:

can you reproduce what I say?

No. And I have no idea about what is in your file, could you please:

1. Make an example file where the noise is visible but is not visible when exported
  2. Save the file with all contents and noise via "Save as" as an Affinity Photo file
  3. Upload it here
  • "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

first: save in .aphoto

second: same image saved in TIFF 

46 minutes ago, Jowday said:

No. And I have no idea about what is in your file, could you please:

1. Make an example file where the noise is visible but is not visible when exported
  2. Save the file with all contents and noise via "Save as" as an Affinity Photo file
  3. Upload it here

clear?

Screen_Shot_2020-06-17_at_8_45.15_PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 8.46.03 PM.png

1 hour ago, srg said:

clear?

I can't reproduce it on Designer for Windows - from screenshots. Output files do have noise as well.

1 hour ago, Jowday said:

I can't reproduce it on Designer for Windows - from screenshots. Output files do have noise as well.

Thus the problem I have is definitely a bug since it seem common to all the files I tried . BTW I work with Mac and AP.

• Staff
7 hours ago, srg said:

clear?

Assuming the second screenshot is the final output—which does have noise, it looks different because you are viewing them at different zoom levels.

You should always check your finished project at 100% zoom before exporting, and compare the export at 100% zoom to the project in Affinity.

The noise you are seeing in Affinity before export should look the same as the TIFF when both are viewed at 100%

If this is not the case for you, I suggest you attach the file because I cannot reproduce your results either.

7 hours ago, Chris B said:

Assuming the second screenshot is the final output—which does have noise, it looks different because you are viewing them at different zoom levels.

You should always check your finished project at 100% zoom before exporting, and compare the export at 100% zoom to the project in Affinity.

The noise you are seeing in Affinity before export should look the same as the TIFF when both are viewed at 100%

If this is not the case for you, I suggest you attach the file because I cannot reproduce your results either.

I will upload the files but need a dropbox address.

I want to mention that in the photos the noise has been partially erased so it should be more evident in the light I added. 

This is another photo to show that is is not an isolated accident.

• Staff

Hey srg,

The .afphoto with the Live Filter layers and the TIFF look identical to me:

1.jpg

I have split the screen so you can see. 

However, when I zoom out to 25% on the two documents, they look totally different:

2.jpg

The TIFF is on the right—you can see the noise in the left-side of the screenshot has adjusted itself to reflect the zoom-veiw.

So if both look the same at 100% view in the app, they will print the same. 

On 6/19/2020 at 9:43 AM, Chris B said:

Hey srg,

The .afphoto with the Live Filter layers and the TIFF look identical to me:

1.jpg

I have split the screen so you can see. 

However, when I zoom out to 25% on the two documents, they look totally different:

2.jpg

The TIFF is on the right—you can see the noise in the left-side of the screenshot has adjusted itself to reflect the zoom-veiw.

So if both look the same at 100% view in the app, they will print the same. 

I have been thinking but honestly I am lost.

you say:" when I zoom out to 25% on the two documents, they look totally different"  to me it says that the .aphoto and the .TIFF are different....

6 minutes ago, srg said:

you say:" when I zoom out to 25% on the two documents, they look totally different"  to me it says that the .aphoto and the .TIFF are different....

I think the point is that in the .afphoto the noise filter is live, and thus adjusts itself to things like the zoom level. The TIFF is, of course, static.

This demonstrates why you must apply and examine functions like the live noise filter at 100% zoom. Zooming out will get you an adjusted view different from what you'll get in the exported file. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I think the point is that in the .afphoto the noise filter is live, and thus adjusts itself to things like the zoom level. The TIFF is, of course, static.

This demonstrates why you must apply and examine functions like the live noise filter at 100% zoom. Zooming out will get you an adjusted view different from what you'll get in the exported file. 

I got your point and so I tried with a non live filter.When the saved .TIFF file is open with AP the file opens OK but when the file is open by another application like preview or EPSON PRINT LAYOUT here is what I got, a grid or something like it.

Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 1.51.15 PM.png

Interesting, I’ve never experienced that myself.
What settings were used in the noise filter?
Dose it happen with both types of filter? Live and/or Destructive?
What export settings were used in the TIFF?
Would you be able to provide an example AP file and it’s TIFF output that always shows this behaviour for you, so others here on the forums could poke about and maybe see what’s going on?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M