You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Presentation Mode for Publisher

Would it be an option, to give Publisher a presentation mode, showing the pages / spreads in a window, with a right click jumping to the next page?

That would make my normal presentation workflow a lot smoother, without you having to add actual Powerpoint like features.

It would also allow me to share my work more easily in remote sessions, since I could simply share the window with Publisher in presentation mode, and guide my customer through it.

Please?

While you're waiting for a possible enhancement to Publisher: you can already do that easily if you export to PDF and use a free viewer like Adobe Acrobat Reader.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks!

Right now I am exporting to PNG, and drag those images into in the slides tab of Keynote. Which works, and also allows me to do some transition effects.

It would just be really nice, if all I had to do would be to click "present" and would be ready to go.

On a macbook a presentation mode works as follows:

1. select your documents window
2. press cmd-0 (or set the wanted zoom level)
3. press tab key (> toggle/hide UI)
4. press ctrl-cmd-F (> fullscreen mode)

–> press fn + arrow up/down to switch pages.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Doesn't work, since I normally need to sharee the application window, to have the presentation in one window, my notes in another, etc.

This works, if it's a live presentation and if I have another display/ device for the notes.... which is (right now) not often the case.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 7:04 PM, DasLenny said:

Doesn't work, since I normally need to sharee the application window, to have the presentation in one window, my notes in another, etc.

This works, if it's a live presentation and if I have another display/ device for the notes.... which is (right now) not often the case.

Do I understand right your 'notes' are in a separate document, or even a different app?
How about then scaling the windows and placing them next to each other? At least as kind of a workaround (what would be different in a "presentation mode")? – Like so:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 2 years later...
11 hours ago, rvsf said:

Yes! I also do it. Any new in Publisher 2?

Float to Window makes this easier in v2. Float the document window, maximize it, set the Zoom level to Zoom to Fit, share the window, and then use whatever page up/down shortcut you like. I just tried it and it worked perfectly.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 1 year later...

I'm a new user since Adobe pulled out Pantone and removed the Adobe library for non-enterprise users...I jumped ship. Content so far.

But this feature "preview" full screen without any other tools, guides, etc. is a must. Exporting it every time just to preview... by definition is not a PREview. 

Just bought the full suite too... it may not be a dealbreaker for most, but it is an inconvenience that has already been done by a competitor for years. And introducing it to other artists, that comes up a lot and I can see their faces wince in pain and just stop thinking of trying it out.

5 hours ago, EmFernandez said:

Exporting it every time just to preview... by definition is not a PREview. 

The app (v1/v2) already has a page Preview Mode, but it's not in the sense of a full screen presentation mode here as it's well known from dedicated presentation software and the like.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

23 hours ago, v_kyr said:

The app (v1/v2) already has a page Preview Mode, but it's not in the sense of a full screen presentation mode here as it's well known from dedicated presentation software and the like.

Clicking preview mode and just hiding guides but not the full interface... is just hiding guides. Hopefully, this will be implemented in the future.

Most answers - but not all (so just relax!) here come from people who can't imagine any scenarios other than sitting with oceans of time in their own armchair in a hobby scenario. It's tragically comical but most importantly unrepresentative of the industry, when someone like me sits in the opposite scenario.

I often miss a true preview mode of the end product minus all elements of the software interface and I am bothered by at least this page border in preview mode. It can really disrupt the preview of the design in the page border area in both bleed and non-bleed scenarios. Just hide it, man! 

image.png.c6244abf901c8ec10abd90a748a1c155.png

Now, Publisher is not used in companies to any measurable extent, but a very normal scenario at my current and previous workplace is that I am sitting in a work meeting with colleagues and representatives from other external entities (partners/clients), where we adjust a product. Then (and this will happen several times) one of these - or myself - says: "What does it look like right now with our latest changes?" and viola: InDesign integrates a specifically tailored functionality for layout design. The W key toggles between Normal mode, which shows guides, frame edges, and other non-printing elements, and Preview mode, which hides these elements to offer a clean view of the page as it will appear when printed or published online. This mode is particularly useful for evaluating the final layout without the distraction of the layout aids. InDesign also offers additional preview options under the View menu, such as Presentation Mode (Shift + W), which displays the document in fullscreen, further emphasizing the final appearance.

It's not luxury that's the reason one can in other programs. It's because it's used by professionals. So, it is a serious, reasonable request.

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

2 hours ago, EmFernandez said:

Clicking preview mode and just hiding guides but not the full interface... is just hiding guides. Hopefully, this will be implemented in the future.

Sounds like you also should press Tab (shortcut for View > Toggle User Interface).

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Sounds like you also should press Tab (shortcut for View > Toggle User Interface).

This is preview mode + Tab (toggle user interface) - tons of UI elements left on screen:

image.thumb.png.0f1be391b667025e7d3dafc82d8b2df5.png

image.thumb.png.23ccfce17f821145ae748192951ec461.png

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

7 minutes ago, Bit Arts said:

tons

Other than the Status Bar, what UI elements are present in your screenshot?

(And, by the way, for me the Status Bar also disappears when I press Tab, on Windows at least. But also, for me, the Menu remains present.)

-- Walt
PC:

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Other than the Status Bar, what UI elements are present in your screenshot?

(And, by the way, for me the Status Bar also disappears when I press Tab, on Windows at least. But also, for me, the Menu remains present.)

As mentioned the page border/outline plus scroll bars or scroll bar placeholders when the entire page is visible as in above screenshots.

It's a classic example of where Serif's software isn't very... shall we say, engaged or immersed.