You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

IMac 27 Retina 5K or HP Envy 32 All in One ?

2 hours ago, Bugiardini said:

starts like a Boeing taking off to Paris and everything freezes and crashes down. But unfortunately I don’t land in Paris, but in front of the coffee machine

Well said Bugiardini. ;-)

I found “Does it spark joy”  from Blende21 also well said.

Whatever you choose, i think you dont have to fear that much.
Your new computer will definitely be better than the current one.
And as I have already written Affinity programs and Clipstudio ( i own that too )
are not so heavyweight programs compared to other graphic software.

Wish you the best.

Well, this year's WWDC was "interesting" to say the very least.

@Bugiardini This is not going to make your decision easier, is it? All Intel-based Macs will be dead (or at the very least 'retro')  tech in a few years time now that Apple is switching to ARM processors. It is the G5-->Intel thing all over again.

No announcements of any new iMac 27" - but it may very probably be ARM based sometime next year?

I am unsure if I would invest in a hardware platform of which I would be certain that it will be dead/superceded within a couple of years. I would just get the Envy now, personally, and wait for things to settle down with the Apple's transition to the new ARM processors. The WIndows platform looks much more reliable as a platform choice right now as well, since MacOS is transitioning into the direction of a unified iOS/MacOS platform with this announcement.

Thanks Medical Officer Bones, you are so right and I came to the same conclusion.

To get a new iMac now, to invest so, so much and next year it’s surpassed by a new strong, powerful and innovative newcomer-miracle machine…is somehow a bizarre feeling.  And for sure, upgrades and transition-protocols would spoil my day. You pay the price of a Mercedes, turn around once, and find out that now it’s worth a Tata Nano…..

There will also be a new surface studio from Microsoft but also, only by the end of the year 2020.

So I think that for my current needs, this “bridging solution” with the Envy 32, with i7, 16 or 32 GB, is just fine and now the summer sales are starting, so maybe I even can get it for a good deal.

And then in 2021, if the world is still standing, I can see if the new IMac is still worth a try. Or if by then, an ultra-new Mac-mini 2021 can do the job…

Thanks so much, your advice is highly appreciated!

That really helped me a lot to make a choice.

Fantastic

Cheers