You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher - Odd selective behaviour (blurring) of some photos.

Good evening.  I am at a bit of a loss.  In a local club newsletter I import a number of photos, and until recently, everything was fine.  Them, in the latest document, I imported some photos, and went and save the document.  When I subsequently reopened the document for more edition, some of the photos were very blurry.  I thought it was me, so I went and deleted those images, and reimported new versions of the images.  In some cases, it was a new screen capture.  All of these "blurry" images display properly in OS/X Preview of other software.  I again saved the file and exited.  This evening, while doing some edits, I noticed that the problem was back again

Is there any explanation for this, or how I can avoid having to reimport these images, yet again, to be able to produce a PDF?

Attached is a screen shot of one example.  The original photo is quite clear.

AP on the latest OS/X, and latest version of Publisher.

Publisher - example of photo blurring.png

Probably due to some rescaling problem, does this happen with rasterized images?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

54 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Probably due to some rescaling problem, does this happen with rasterized images?

Original images are a combination of .PNG and .JPegs.

When reimported, I can print a PDF and they are fine.  Closing and reopening the file produces blurring, which is reflected in any PDFs.

The work around is delete the six or seven images, reimport, export to PDF, and hope there are no edits that require a re-export.  But, I would thing that this should not be required.

The blurred image in the screen capture is itself a screen capture off of Facebook.  Most of the other images captured in that fashion from FB are fine.

Odd.

If you are using Linked photos in Publisher and the Linked photos are subsequently moved, unavailable or renamed etc then you will get low-resolution (blurry) photos in their place. This is normal

Use the Resource Manager to check if the photos are linked and show as "missing". If so, you can investigate further from there.

Alternatively, you can use the same Resource Manager to change the photos from Linked to Embedded which will eliminate the problem of missing Linked photos

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

9 hours ago, carl123 said:

If you are using Linked photos in Publisher and the Linked photos are subsequently moved, unavailable or renamed etc then you will get low-resolution (blurry) photos in their place.

In this case the photos are embedded in the document.  If they had been linked, I would have expected something akin to a question mark or 404 error saying that the linked object was absent.  But good observation!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Dkenner,

please could you provide a screenshot of the resource manager showing that your image is embedded then a screenshot showing that the image is blurry? Could you also please try deleting and re embedding the image to see if you can recreate this?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a similar problem after opening some files. Some pictures pixelate while others are okay, eventhough when I first worked on it everything was okay. As you can see in the screenshot it is the same picture so there shouldn´t be any problem with the source. The main problem for me though is, that the pixelation stays even when converted into jpeg or PDF.

The only way I can get them to look normal again is by selecting each picture and reloading them.screenshot-affinity.thumb.JPG.4e33a2054f1fbefd00240fd7d9af4e52.JPG

This would seem to be a bug. It is an issue that I experience intermittently but regularly.

Over an number of days, I'm currently printing off a number of copies of an illustrated booklet that I've created using Publisher. On some days, when I open the Publisher document, not all of the pictures in the publication open in full resolution - some, but never all of them (so far) might be blurry. All images in my booklet are set to be linked, not embedded.  This has caused a fair amount of wasted expense on printouts as I have had to bin the pages with blurry images. (That's not cheap as I print on glossy paper). 

As an interim workaround, upon opening the document for that day's printouts, I now go through the booklet page by page to visually check whether each image is sharp or blurry - this is usually failry easy to spot as when I move to a new page I can momentarily see an initially blurry image suddenly 'snap' into the high resolution version.

• 10 months later...
On 8/2/2020 at 10:50 AM, ovoxovo said:

This would seem to be a bug. It is an issue that I experience intermittently but regularly.

Over an number of days, I'm currently printing off a number of copies of an illustrated booklet that I've created using Publisher. On some days, when I open the Publisher document, not all of the pictures in the publication open in full resolution - some, but never all of them (so far) might be blurry. All images in my booklet are set to be linked, not embedded.  This has caused a fair amount of wasted expense on printouts as I have had to bin the pages with blurry images. (That's not cheap as I print on glossy paper). 

As an interim workaround, upon opening the document for that day's printouts, I now go through the booklet page by page to visually check whether each image is sharp or blurry - this is usually failry easy to spot as when I move to a new page I can momentarily see an initially blurry image suddenly 'snap' into the high resolution version.

I have a similar issue:

In Affinity Publisher, after opening a saved file with 30 pages of text and about 120 photos, all but a few photos were blurry. I replaced the photos in 10 pages and during the replacement of these photos, a pop-up message appeared a few times warning me of a large document and asked if I wished to link my photos to which I refused. This prompt caused me to go to Document Setup and change my preference to “Prefer Embedded"

When I went to print the 10 newly re-worked pages, I was given the opportunity to do a preflight. The preflight reviewed the entire 30 pages and showed red warnings on all the photos in the other 20 pages that were not replaced as being unlinked. Yet those photos were in other files on my desktop from which I initially imported them to AfPub.

I'm afraid to link my reworked 10 pages after about 3 hours of work. 

Ultimately, this project (a photo memoir of my army career) will be about 300 pages with about 500 pictures. My questions are:

Is AfPub capable of what will be such a large project?

Can I continue to Embed all photos, inspite of recurring warning of a large file size?

When the whole work is sent to a print partner, should the photos be imbedded?

What is a “sidecar folder” (page 136, AfPub Work Book)?