You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lagging, low FPS, and rendering bugs

Having the same issue, only it is crashing. constantly. as in 6 times since this morning and that's only because I got annoyed and gave up. On top of that, just copy, add, group, or really any multiple layer action will cause it to crash, no matter what file.
This has been happening since the day I updated. No other changes to my computer have been made.
I've already reset the program, uninstalled and reinstalled all the programs.

Publisher seems to be crashing and slowing down, but not nearly as much as designer. Which is a dead stop killer on me meeting deadlines. I'm going to have to go get Adobe cc for a month or as long as it takes them to figure the problems out with this version. This is how I make money, and the longer I sit here not working, the less I make. Already had to push one deadline and refund another customer over this. It sucks a LOT because I love this program.

1. Are you using the latest release version?
    yup
  2. Can you reproduce it?
    Open program, work in any file, try to select multiple layers and use any of the tools or copy.
    The intermittent freezing just happens all the time. I don't know how to reproduce that part, but the crashing only happens if multiple layers are being altered.

I don't use any of the 3d effects, at most a gradient here or there, and even then that's rare.

3. Does it happen for a new document? If not do you have a document you can share that shows the problem? Any document with 5 layers is as far as I tested it and got over it and made a sandwich instead.  Could be 3. could be 1. Idk. but 5 it hated.
  •    What is your operating system and version:
  • Windows 10 1909Vers.
    AMD Radeon RX Vega 11 Graphics & Radeon(TM) RX 580 - both hate it.
    AMD Ryzen 5 2400G (which has the above Vega integrated)
    Ram: 32Gb (with a limit set to 21 for the programs for the sake of me being able to run my other basic stuff without issue. - Reset these values and tried and had the same issue.)
    Tried to install on both of my drives and no change either.
    Philips 278E9Q (LCD MONITOR 278E9Q)
    HP Pavilion 22cw  Monitor

•    What happened for you (and what you expected to happen) Program lags if used for longer than half an hour or so, if more than one file is opened that have multiple layers, crashes when multiple layers are being altered, intermittently freezes w/white screen seemingly randomly, but mostly happens when adjusting colors or styles.

•    Any unusual hardware (like tablets or external monitors or drives that may affect things) or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers.
    Dual monitors and a tablet but both had no conflicts prior to the update, and they have no issues with any of the other programs. I tried with a single monitor, had the same problem. Tried with the tablet driver completely uninstalled, had the same issue, installed the programs on my other computer (Also windows laterst vers) and still crashing.

•    Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently? (software or hardware) Yes, used to work perfectly. all I updated was Affinity.

This ssssuuuuuuucccccccks for real. :/

• 4 weeks later...

I've switched to using it on my pen display, where the program seems to work perfectly fine. But it's less than ideal without a mouse, for precise line work and UI shapes. It could be something to do with my monitor or its connection. My pen display is a Huion 16 Pro and has a 1080p and 60hz display.

Alright, update. 

And let me clarify monema. Affinity software still acted strange on my primary monitor. But I have a fancy graphics tablet that has a built in display, so you can see what your drawing. For the past few weeks I've been using the graphics tablet to get by. It's been okay, and I've leared to draw better :); but it isn't always good enough to replace my mouse. 

Anyways, I have fixed it and I think I figured out how I broke it. Fix for my computer: I went into the Nvidia Control Panel > 3D Settings > scroll through list of programs to Affinity Designer > scroll down list to Vsync > changed from Off to On. Works now. 

I must of switched off this setting somehow when I messed with global settings for something else.

• 1 year later...

i'm facing the same issue, it really seems like, if i was in a game, it was Vsync off. 

In publisher, when moving simple images, the edges lag and get gut, quite exactly some vsync issue, however, changing the setting and forcing it to ON didn't work...

anyone found a fix?