You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lagging, low FPS, and rendering bugs

I have been using Affinity Designer for several months, but recently, out of the blue, it lost all the familiar smoothness and snappiness I've come to expect from Affinity. I tried restarting the program and then factory resetting the program. After still experiencing issues, I uninstalled and reinstalled the program. No sign of change. I uninstalled all my fonts, due to a suggestion on the forums. Nothing worked. I then uninstalled and install a previous version of Affinity Designer, and still didn't see any improvement. Although I haven't had any crashing or tools break, it's uncomfortable to use the application. I then switched to trying to use Affinity Publisher and Photo, but unfortunately, those programs are mysterious behaving exactly like Designer. Lag, screen tearing, slow loading times, and rendering failure. 

My Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING (Wi-Fi)

RAM: 16.0 GB

Storage: Intel M.2 SSD

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

Monitor: Dell Gaming (165 FPS, GSYNC, and 1 mil-sec response time)

Same here. Constant freezing, lagging and rendering issues. Both in Designer and Photo.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 HQ
Motherboard: ASUS GL552VW
RAM: 32.0 GB
Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND M.2
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

• Staff
16 hours ago, monema said:

no it's a general issue.
I uploaded the file.
thanx a lot

Thanks for the file, this is likely caused by the use of FX Layers - I'll get this passed on.

13 hours ago, Emerald Cyber said:

Here is a video of a bunch of examples and a document I have worked on. It's a little long. I will note, performance tends to lag when I'm in the groove, working rapidly, and/or adjusting things here and there, like for this logo project. 

Mom's logos.afdesign 25.91 kB · 1 download

Whereabouts in the video is the slowdown and lagging your getting? Nothing looked out of the ordinary with regards to that. The rendering issues you see around 2:30 are a known issue that can occur with skewed objects with large strokes.

I also got surprisingly poor performance when I began working on my first "bigger" Affinity Designer document.

After a few hundred objects, things suddenly got worse than even Illustrator!

Unfortunately, I can't show anything right now since I actually did it at my place of work. Once the project is finished (in a few months), I might be able to share, but I really hope the problems are fixed by then...

I would like to agree with the others in this thread. I've been using Affinity Designer ever since it was first released on Windows, and now I seem to be getting all the lag and slowdown mentioned above.

I've only noticed it since the very latest update - before then it has been zippy, fast and responsive.

One example is pressing File > New  -  it takes about 15-20 seconds for the dialogue to pop up, which is normally instant.

I've also never noticed the pixelation when zooming in and out of documents before, now suddenly it's there all the time, even with a small, simple document.

I have even experienced freeze-ups where the app says it's not responding and also one crash.

-----------------------------------

HP Omen

Intel Core i7-8750H
16GB DDR4 RAM
Nvidia GTX1060
NVME SSD
Monitors - Built-in Laptop and Samsung 4k External Monitor Connected with Display Port.
Latest Windows 10

On 6/16/2020 at 8:31 AM, Sean P said:

Thanks for the file, this is likely caused by the use of FX Layers - I'll get this passed on.

I've also experienced more than expected screen lag recently after applying several Effects to a curve, for example 3D, gradient overlay & outer shadow.

Caveat: I have quite a low powered PC i3-4000m CPU @ 2.4 GHz, 8 GB RAM, but it normally manages to get through most things smoothly, but using Effects has quite an affect.

lag-example.afdesign

v2.4.0 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.3.1

On 6/16/2020 at 9:31 AM, Sean P said:

Whereabouts in the video is the slowdown and lagging your getting?

I just opened a PDF with a few hundred objects and tried to move them into a layer. I hope this isn't considered normal:

aff.gif.7cf6a6629c83aec115ed55e821203b4e.gif

As you can see, it takes a second for the layer to even highlight where I can drop the objects, and then several seconds to actually move them into the layer.

Oh, and this was just a simple line drawing exported from CAD.

(Windows 10, i7-6700k, 32gb ram, 1080ti... which is actually a faster computer than the one where I reported slow performance a few posts above)

7 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Hi eobet,
I've just tried this on my machine with 300 curve objects and certainly not seeing the performance you're getting. Would you be able to attach a copy of the afdesign file shown in your GIF please?

Since it's for work, I can't post it publicly, but it doesn't contain any super sensitive information so if you let me know how to send you the file in private, I can do that.

• Staff
21 minutes ago, eobet said:

Since it's for work, I can't post it publicly, but it doesn't contain any super sensitive information so if you let me know how to send you the file in private, I can do that.

That's not a problem - I've created an upload link to our internal Dropbox account if you don't mind using that?
https://www.dropbox.com/request/1cl6Agz0DYm0BIBUS3EO

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

That's not a problem - I've created an upload link to our internal Dropbox account if you don't mind using that?
https://www.dropbox.com/request/1cl6Agz0DYm0BIBUS3EO

Thanks!

Done!

I also added my current work file, because I wanted to create multiple pattern examples in the same document, but when I duplicated everything three times and began moving the copies around with the shift + arrow buttons, it again took about a second to move everything (I wonder if it has to do with snap?)...

Again, tested on different computers (work and home). Hope this will enable you to find some further optimizations in the future!

I use Affinity Photo and after the last update, I get lagging when trying to apply any fx or layer adjustments. This has never been an issue before. Could there be drivers on my pc that are not compatible with the 1.8 version?

AMD 3700X

32 gigs ram

RTX2070 S