You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

All new layers are showing as black on thumbnail and don't affect anything

Have you tried clicking on Reset

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hello Stephen and welcome to the Affinity forums🙂
Are you referring to just a lack of thumbnails in the Layer stack? If so unfortunately this is an intermittent bug that’s been around for a while now.  It's known about but still no fix as yet.
There’s a couple of other threads about it floating around the forums:

Or are you saying that the adjustment layers aren't working? In which case could it be that you have inadvertently 'Inverted' the adjustment layer. Inverting adjustment layers effectively fills them with black. Painting white onto it will allow the applied adjustment to show through in those areas.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

47 minutes ago, markw said:

Hello Stephen and welcome to the Affinity forums🙂
Are you referring to just a lack of thumbnails in the Layer stack? If so unfortunately this is an intermittent bug that’s been around for a while now.  It's known about but still no fix as yet.
There’s a couple of other threads about it floating around the forums:

Or are you saying that the adjustment layers aren't working? In which case could it be that you have inadvertently 'Inverted' the adjustment layer. Inverting adjustment layers effectively fills them with black. Painting white onto it will allow the applied adjustment to show through in those areas.

Hi Mark, it's neither of those. The adjstment layers are literally not working. I've recorded a very quick video of my screen trying to add an adjustment layer. (The video only records my main affinity window unfortunately it doesn't show the layers menu becasue the recorder must class those as a different video.) To be clear what I do in this video is create a layer by going to "layer">"new adjustment layer">"black & white". The new layer is active but does not affect the picture. When I invert the layer by going to "layer">"invert" it still does nothing.

Here is a screnshot of the black and white layer.

image.png.a37fc9938aa6d96e2b4e7e368947911b.png

That’s really strange and not something I’ve seen before.
Is this happening in just this one document?
Or dose it happen in any and all documents?
Dose it persist after a system restart?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Did you already tried to reset certain App settings back to factory defaults?

To reset back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. 

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

You may have a very tiny selection active on your document which means adjustments will only apply to that selection which you may not see - to eliminate this possibility use Select > Deselect to deselect any active selection and then try again adding a new adjustment layer

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

You may have a very tiny selection active on your document which means adjustments will only apply to that selection which you may not see - to eliminate this possibility use Select > Deselect to deselect any active selection and then try again adding a new adjustment layer

BINGO!

That is the solution. Thank you.