You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

.AI file opening at double resolution

Hey, 

Im having an issue when opening a .AI file ( that was created in illustrator ) in Affinity Design.

The original file was created at 72 PPI in Adobe Illustrator. When i open it in AD, the DIP is being set to 156. 

I have changed the DPI back down to 72. However the whole file is essentially double the resolution/pixel that it is in illustrator.

Im very new to AD so it could be something iv just set up wrong, but i cannot for the life in me work it out.

I have attached a couple of screenshots to show the size difference between the two programs

Any help is much appreciated

Cheers

Ben

post-16411-0-44682300-1438783708_thumb.png

post-16411-0-70468800-1438783708_thumb.png

Hi benh4889,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Can you attach the file here so we can check what's going wrong?

Alternatively you can send it to support@seriflabs.com along with a small description and a link to this thread.

All files will be deleted after being inspected.

Hey, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this  :)

I have just emailed the file to: support@seriflabs.com ( its a client design so we cannot show it publicly yet :D  )

Cheers

Ben

Hey, 

It is opening the entire file at double the resolution ( Im not sure if its down to DPI or something else. ) but basically the entire file is double the pixel size in AD than it is illustrator.

So when i'm exporting things such as logos they are double the size that they need to be.

e.g. an element that is 100px X 150px in illustrator is 200px X 300px in AD

Cheers

• Staff

It looks like the incorrect resolution has been inferred from the photo to the bottom right of the bottom (hidden) layer - it is at the 156dpi that the whole document is getting set to. As Tony said, ai files are read by looking at their PDF stream - and PDF doesn't contain any DPI information so you have to take a guess based on what is in the file to determine the most likely DPI. The best thing I can suggest is simply to go to the Document Setup dialog and change the DPI back to 72 and just save the document as a .afdesign and work from there... If we didn't attempt to guess the DPI of the PDF then a lot of other use-cases would be adversely affected :(

Hey MattP

Thanks for that. 

Im still struggling with this unfortunately even after following your instructions.

I opened the original .AI file ( deleted out the images in the bottom right corner to see if that made a difference ).

Changed the DPI to 72 in the document setup and then saved the file as a .afdesign file.

Unfortunately when i open the .afdesign version it is still opening at double the resolution so all element are double the size the need to be.

Cheer