You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Affinity Designer] How to export a DXF file?

If you do a search in these forums for “DXF” you will see many threads where people have asked a similar question.
The current answer – as of 1.8.3 – is that you cannot export as DXF and there are no publicly-known plans (as far as I’m aware) for that to change.
There may be a way to convert something exported into a different file type to DXF using other software but you’ll probably have to look around to find it, if it exists.

Do you want to export line work created in Designer to a machine that will use a DXF file ? If so, the way to do this is to export the file as an SVG file

image.png.58c98f0d3fb67971a307592101887dee.png

Don't rasterize the file as you require vectors.

Then you will need to bring it into a CAD program to convert it to DXF. A simple and free program is Libre Cad (Win and macOS) which only saves as DXF files. I have run the process using QCAD and it works as described. I had Libre Cad but replaced it with QCAD as it had greater functionality for my purposes. There are other free simple cad programs that may also work and there are numerous online services if you so wish.

Trusting this may be of help

GeoffH

The purposed is to import a SVG into a SolidWorks sketch, which requires DXF or DWG. Luckily I actually own a copy of Adobe Illustrator and I already have the work around...

The dumb part is that my old copy of Adobe Illustrator CS6 causes problems with my monitor calibration, and my entire monitor starts to flicker as soon as I run it, so I really don't like running it.

Inkscape also works but that's a last resort.

I really just want Affinity Designer to add DXF and DWG. I work with lasers, water jet, and die cutters frequently. Come on, feature parity with Adobe pretty much requires DXF + DWG import and export.

I work with CNC plasma cutters and all the programs I use to convert vector files to tool paths need a DXF file. Fortunately, the Silhouette cutter I use can take SVG. It sure would be nice to be able to use the same software to put out to all of my cutting devices since I use my Silhouette to do test cuts and maquettes for the designs I cut on my plasma table.

I also teach CNC plasma cut design and cutting operations and would LOVE to use this program with my students. But creating the pattern in one software, converting the SVG to the DXF in another, and then converting the DXF to tool paths in yet another is just one more step that can introduce file conversion problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Affinity Designer is even useless for SVGs, it doesn't export any units except "pixels", no matter what units you use during editing or viewing, the exported SVG only uses pixels. This means precision is lost. Do not use Affinity Designer for lasers or any engineering!!

Inkscape is actually perfect for engineering stuff now that you've forced me to use it more. I've even coded an Inkscape extension in Python just to help myself out

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My old illustrator doesn't work on my new mac, so I just bought affinity designer specifically to import a DXF file then modify it so I could send it back to the laser cutter. And now - I have no idea how to get the file into the proper format (i.e. single contour, no offset) so that the metal worker can use it. Will try one of the work-arounds above, but please, please put this function into the software. Please. 

• 3 weeks later...

Can confirm, this is still desperately needed. I do a mix of design and machining/lasering/etc and DXF is the common language between CAD programs and (most) vector graphic programs. Someone posted the current sale in our CNC forum and I can't in good faith recommend it without the caveat of "I love it, but it's missing this critical feature for our use case."

Come on! You've acknowledged this was desired since 2018! https://twitter.com/affinitybyserif/status/1028911570540224513

1 hour ago, wsm said:

You've acknowledged this was desired since 2018!

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

For the foreseeable future I'd look at SVG to DXF converters and work out a workflow for that: https://kellylollardesigns.com/blogs/news/converting-svg-to-dxf

There is also plenty of online SVG to DXF converters, how good they are is a matter of trial and error.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 3 weeks later...

Just adding other options. You can also export as SVG, then go to https://Inkscape.org and install this free vector editor, it has the option to Save As (not export) DXF file, which is label in the list as

Desktop Cutter Plotter (AutoCAD DXF file) *.dxf

The advantage of using this application is that has other tools that are lacking for the moment in Affinity Designer. Affinity Designer is my main Vector Graphic editor in my work flow, but for example, there are many things I love to do hand drawn, since it give a nostalgic touch for certain projects, and Affinity lacks a way to trace bitmaps.

Inkscape, in my opinion, has one of the best bitmap tracing engine implemented in the application, is a little buggy and takes sometime to get used to it, but once you master it is the best, again in my opinion.

For these rare occasions that Affinity Designer let me down, I can manage by opening Inkscape. It's been around for many years, so I can say with certainty that is secure and amazing tool. Even when I used Adobe Illustrator in the past, Inkscape was my go to for many other stuff. Today I mostly use Affinity Designer, which I love. But again, Inkscape comes to the rescue from time to time.

Edited by Raphie
Adding why this would be a better temporary solution

37 minutes ago, viMtyj-kacror-kodvu5 said:

If Affinity is supposed to be an Illustrator alternative why would one need to export to another piece of software to get a simple result that should be built in.

That's simple, because for the rare occasions that you required to export DXF files or bitmap tracing, worth saving over $700 per year on subscription alone. I believe Affinity Designer will have this in the future, in the meantime, the time I spend exporting to another application is less expensive than a subscription. Even if you charge premium for your time.

NOW TO BE FAIR

If you constantly required to export DXF files would be obvious that Illustrator is your best option. There are many things Illustrator has that I do miss, like the 3D tools. If your workflow depends on these then is obvious that you will have to invest annually or monthly in an Adobe subscription.

As an career Illustrator, there are things that I consider are essential for me and I can say for sure, Affinity Designers along with Publisher and Photo has become an essential tool. The simple fact that by opening Affinity Publisher to generate content give me the liberty of not having to have Photo and Designer running, since I can change to each of it's tools from inside Publisher, that's a big time saving for me. This pair with the other fact that I can save a project on my OneDrive and then open it on my iPad, even if it is not a Publisher file, I can still keep working on this project on Designer for iPad, then come back to Publisher all with the same file. Try do that with InDesign.

Your case might be different, but as an long time Illustrator, Designer, in my opinion, is way superior than Illustrator.

Edited by Raphie
Clarifying when Designer would not replace Illustrator.