You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Classic engraving effect (copperplate engraving) for Affinity Photo V. 1.x & 2.x

Andy05

I had to edit some images for a client, who wanted to embed them into some kind of bank notes. The motives on them used to be classic copperplate engravings. So I created some macros for AP, some of which I want to share with the community. 

Requirements:

• The image needs to be square format (it will get resized to 3000 x 3000 px)
  • The image needs to be flat (only 1 layer)
  • The styles provided in this post need to be added prior to starting the macro

I got an error message when trying to upload the files (probably due to their size, hence some google cloud links:
Engraving Styles (2.2 MB) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aHP4golVVLoidsw_aLs_EcMltfsM3oIu/view?usp=sharing
Engraving Macros (1.8 MB) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mMbZFTd-fLDuACyRCa7bne7cd0wksYUu/view?usp=sharing

The macros and assets have been moved to Gumroad. (https://thargoran.gumroad.com/l/engraving_effect

t's still for free—just enter the code APforum2023 (I'd appreciate some stars rating nonetheless).

Sorry, but the free period expired.

engravingsample.png

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Andy05, who provided these resources, seems to visit the forums regularly, and Follows this topic. Perhaps they will comment about this, and whether they can restore access to them on Google Drive or (better) upload them here.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

@Andy05, who provided these resources, seems to visit the forums regularly, and Follows this topic. Perhaps they will comment about this, and whether they can restore access to them on Google Drive or (better) upload them here.

Thanks Walt, for the reminder! Although I received @RosM's notification days ago, I completely forgot about it again due to some urgent projects keeping me busy lately.

I've transferred the files to gumroad (https://thargoran.gumroad.com/l/engraving_effect) and updated the initial post with the link to it. It's still for free—just enter "0" into the price field. (But I'd appreciate some stars rating nonetheless.) Gumroad makes it easier for me to update it, if I ever feel like I should add/improve anything to this.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

On 6/13/2020 at 1:58 AM, Andy05 said:

Requirements:

• The image needs to be square format (it will get resized to 3000 x 3000 px)
  • The image needs to be flat (only 1 layer)
  • The styles provided in this post need to be added prior to starting the macro

Very nice, especially with the various tonal masks, Thank you!

I wonder what would happen if the pixel size wouldn't get set by the macro, or could get set by the user, possibly depending on the image details / the resolution / or a different unit instead of absolute pixels?

Interestingly the .afstyles file does not need to be added (I haven't). And it works also appears to work with several layers if they are grouped.

In APub it works with the photo persona but converts the document dimensions (page/spread) to the mentioned 3000 x 3000 px even if the page + selected layer get set before to a squared ratio. Which means the macro is able to change the document dimensions although in the photo persona this menu option is grayed out for the user.

2118606038_engravingAPubdocumentresize.jpg.e09420c24228b43427c20c68f2830161.jpg

APub before / after using the macro:

606778321_engravingAPubbefore.thumb.jpg.10b1b9cd004f6c3ffabf57f6ccc5edc6.jpg

1302371762_engravingAPubafter.thumb.jpg.67dd687b236702d6e1c8f89cc5d62c5f.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

5 hours ago, thomaso said:

I wonder what would happen if the pixel size wouldn't get set by the macro, or could get set by the user, possibly depending on the image details / the resolution / or a different unit instead of absolute pixels?

Yeah, as mentioned in the initial post, I created the macros for working on a client's brief. Hence the fixed size/aspect ratio. Unfortunately, editing existing macros in Affinity apps is still a nightmare/not possible at all.

Interestingly the .afstyles file does not need to be added (I haven't). And it works also appears to work with several layers if they are grouped.

It's interesting that it works without installing the styles, but that explains the macro's size. IIRC, it wasn't working with the Affinity Photo version back the days (when I created the assets) with installing the macro only, hence I had to add them to the downloads.

Same applies to grouped layers. I had to add the advise to flatten the layers and/or mark only one, because I had two users reporting problems when not doing so. But there might have been different reasons for their issues, I just remembered that I worked on flat images only for my client. 

To be honest, I just did a quick check, if the macro is still working "as it was originally" before moving the files to gumroad.

Paul Rand (1914-1996)