You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm using what I think is the latest version of Affinity Designer (1.8.3 and I'm using Mojave 10.14.6) and often times when I'm drawing it somehow switches to the pan tool and then I can not get it to go back to the pen tool (or any other tool). I know this used to be an issue at one time but I haven't seen it for a while but it is happening a lot for me with the latest version. Once it switches to the pan tool, it is difficult to switch to another tool. Using the shortcut keys doesn't let me switch and neither does clicking on the tools in the tool bar. The only way to get Designer to switch to another tool is to zoom out or zoom in and then it releases the pan tool and lets me choose another tool. It is very frustrating and if anyone knows how I can keep it from doing this I would greatly appreciate it. 

I'm also having issues with screen redraws but I'm not sure how to describe it. It seems to happen when I'm zoomed in and I click and make a node and then pull the bezier handles towards an area that is currently off screen. The handles disappear and lines showing me the length and direction of the handles disappear. Maybe this is how it is intended but I wouldn't think so because it only does this when I am working near the edge of a document. It isn't a big problem but just something that I was curious about.

Other than these two issues, things have been working great for me. In my use of Designer the expand stroke is working much better and so are the boolean operations. Thanks to Matt and all the developers working on Designer! Great job!

16 hours ago, Hokusai said:

CLC,

Thanks! I wasn't sure if it was just me or something odd about the system I running or what? I'll check out the links that you posted. 

Thanks,
Hokusai

Well, @MEB said that "there must be something unique about my system" because they are not able to replicate the issue.

Weird.

3 hours ago, CLC said:

said that "there must be something unique about my system" because they are not able to replicate the issue.

Weird.

You can replicate a stuck hand by doing the following

Create a rectangle 
Press and hold the spacebar so that the Object's bounding box disappears
In the Layers Panel click the Blend Mode box so the drop-down list is displayed
Whilst the drop-down list is still displayed release the spacebar

You are now stuck on the Hand Tool and unable to select any other tool

In this situation you have to press the spacebar again to release the hand tool

It seems to also occur when any drop-down menu is on display when you release the spacebar - Including the Main Menu items (File, Edit, Text, etc) and the Hamburger drop-down menus

(I'm on Windows)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff
8 hours ago, CLC said:

Well, @MEB said that "there must be something unique about my system" because they are not able to replicate the issue.

Weird.

Hi CLC,
Not sure where i said that - can you point it out please? - maybe i was still trying to figure out what's going on at the time  because i ended up filling that bug myself and there's more common use cases where this may happen notably when using the shortcuts keys to zoom in/out as seems the case with Hokusai like I explained here or here along with the way to unstuck it.

1 minute ago, MEB said:

Hi CLC,
Not sure where i said that - can you point it out please? - maybe i was still trying to figure out what's going on at the time  because i ended up filling that bug myself and there's more common use cases where this may happen notably when using the shortcuts keys to zoom in/out like explained here along with the way to unstuck it.

Hi @MEB, thank you for your response.

You are right, you didn't say that, it was @Chris B over here:

I apologize, I was confused and didn't really bother to find it before "quoting" you. Sorry for putting @Chris B's words in your mouth.

On 6/22/2020 at 9:41 AM, MEB said:

Hi CLC,
Not sure where i said that - can you point it out please? - maybe i was still trying to figure out what's going on at the time  because i ended up filling that bug myself and there's more common use cases where this may happen notably when using the shortcuts keys to zoom in/out as seems the case with Hokusai like I explained here or here along with the way to unstuck it.

Hi MEB,

My issue isn't from using the shortcut keys to zoom in/out. It happens to me when I'm drawing with the pen tool and I use the pan tool (via the space bar) and then when I release the space bar the pan tool becomes stuck. Sorry if I didn't explain it well before. I use the zoom in/out as a way to get it to release the pan tool. When I'm stuck with the pan tool, I zoom in or out (sometimes a lot) and it will allow me to switch back to the pen tool. I hope that helps. 

Hokusai

Hi MEB,

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think I'm performing any other tasks. Normally when it happens to me is when I'm drawing a complex picture with the pen tool and I use the space bar to access the pan tool to move around while I have the pen tool active but then somehow the pan tool won't release and I can't seem to get back to the pen tool unless I zoom in a long ways or zoom out a long ways (I use the navigator palette to do the zooming because I don't think it will allow me to switch to any other tool other than the pan tool, not the zoom tool either) and then suddenly it will allow me to switch back to the pen tool. Thanks for looking into it.

Hokusai