You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

problem with exported SVG - bug?

I've found something odd when using an SVG file exported from Designer 1.8.3 Mac. I created something simple in Designer, converted everything to curves, used Separate Curves to expand the hole cutout polygons, and exported as an SVG. When I import that into my 3D program Lightwave3D, I get strange results. If I take that same SVG file, import it into Pixelmator Pro, and re-export it as an SVG without changing anything, it properly imports into Lightwave3D. I've tried various combinations of the SVG export options in the More dialog, but still no dice. Is this a Designer export bug, or simply some other version of SVG file format? 

SVG problem.jpg

SVG-file-versions.zip

• Staff

Hi ELinder,

The SVG exported from Affinity is opening up correctly in Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Inkscape and also Illustrator. Looking at the SVG I don't think Lightwave3D likes the fact that the group itself has been transformed and is possibly ignoring that. You could try using the 'Flatten Transforms' option on the More section of the dialog to avoid that.

I would contact the developers of Lightwave3D as it looks like the fault is with them not reading that specific SVG correctly however.

Thanks for looking at the files. Using the Flatten Transforms solves the positional errors (although I thought I had tried that before), but the colors are still not brought over. Everything is 0,0,0 black.

That's what's so bizarre, the exact same SVG imported to Pixelmator Pro (or any number of programs) does carry over the colors. The SVG I re-export from Pixelmator Pro when imported to Lightwave3D does carry over the colors, but the SVG from Designer does not. Designer is doing something different with respect to how it writes the colors for each area into the SVG.

Erich

• Staff
On 6/12/2020 at 5:25 PM, ELinder said:

Designer is doing something different with respect to how it writes the colors for each area into the SVG

In the Designer exported SVG colours are being output in the format such as 

fill:rgb(109,108,146)

where as in the Pixelmater Pro SVG they're being exported as hex values such as:

fill="#6d6c92"

At a guess I'm assuming Lightwave doesn't like the colours to be in this format, despite being valid for an SVG. However there is an option on the export settings to use Hex values, so ideally exporting your file to SVG with that ticked should (if my guess is correct) allow the colours to appear in Lightwave.