You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File too big to export to PDF for print

Hello, my affinity file is currently is crashing Photo and Designer when I try to export a PDF for printing. How can I get this to print? It's for a wall piece.

The file is 2 meters x 1 meter, 300 dpi 

15" Macbook Pro mid 2014 retina, 2.8 Ghz, 16Gbs

jycreative.dunked.com

15.4-inch 2014 MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display

• Staff

I think the best thing you could do would just be to email a copy of the file to support@seriflabs.com and we can tell you where the problem is... If it is forced to rasterise then you're going to end up with a 279 Megapixel image, which is quite large but I think PDF would still be happy with it so I don't know why you'd be getting a problem without actually seeing the file in question.

You can obviously try reducing the DPI to 150 and that would generate a quarter of the data and might make the PDF happier? Maybe try to see if that succeeds as a good starting point?

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt, 

How would you like me to send you the file? Do you have an email?

I've tried the export at 192 dpi, but would like to know how to get a 400 dpi to export.

Cheers.

jycreative.dunked.com

You should reduce the dimension to 1/10th. So, it should be 20cm x 10cm with 300 dpi. It is the same as you would like to print bilboard.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Are you using OS X Yosemite or above? If so, you could just email the file to us with 'mail drop' enabled in OS X Mail. I've kept trying to access the file and it just gives me the same error... :(

Yes OS X Yosemite and above. How can I enable this 'mail drop'?

You should reduce the dimension to 1/10th. So, it should be 20cm x 10cm with 300 dpi. It is the same as you would like to print bilboard.

Printing 20cm x 10cm 300dpi file to 2m x 1m is not the same no?

jycreative.dunked.com

Exactly, it is not the same. But, when you watch a bilboard from a distance you can't see the pixels, and if the wall don't have a smooth surface -- it is the same. You will not see a difference.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• Staff

In Mail, go to Preferences->Accounts and choose the account you want to send from. Now click 'Advanced' and you'll see an option "Send large attachments with Mail Drop" - just make sure that's ticked and whenever you send a large file from that account it will upload it to a cloud-based temporary location, then when someone receives your message it downloads it in-place, as though their mail server had accepted the large file, basically :)

Edited to add: Incidentally, what Petar says is correct - usually as you increase the physical size of an item past a certain point, you would drop the DPI because your intended audience have to stand further away to see the piece, so it's no longer important to have such high DPI. But obviously I wouldn't expect the process to fail, so I'm interested in seeing the file to see if there's something wrong or anything to fix that is causing a problem...