You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

As I'm still unable to add screen shots to forum posts I have to do this as a link to an image on Google Drive. I hope it works.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aABcWxnxTHtgUFO7z6o-MmPuWg9LbsOK/view?usp=sharing

That screen shot shows the aftermath of the following steps:

With an image in the clipboard (a screen shot):

1. Draw a frame with the Picture Frame tool.
2. With the frame selected, right-click and select Paste as Content

The screen shot now appears within the picture frame. But there's something missing. There should be a second outer handle at the lower-right of the frame. But there isn't.

When that kind of additional handle is showing, moving the picture frame handles can crop the image, though moving the outer handle at the lower right will resize frame and image together without cropping.

Have I omitted some required step? What became of that outer handle?

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

7 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

Afaik, that outer handle is for scaling text when resizing the frame.

That handle is also a property of picture frames and I've since gotten it to appear.

When it is not present:
•  Moving the handles of the picture frame resizes the frame AND its contents.

When it is present and you work with a handle that is not the "outside" handle at the lower right:
•  Moving a handle changes the size of the picture frame and can possibly crop the image—and does not resize the image itself.

When it is present and you work with the handle at the lower right—the one outside the other handles:
•  This resizes the frame AND its contents and no cropping occurs.

I got the "missing" handle to appear in one of two ways:

1. Make the tiniest possible adjustment to the image's size using the picture frame's size slider. Or,
2. Select the image itself (not the frame) within the layers panel and "nudge" the image (not the frame) by some tiny amount using one of the arrow keys.

Following either of those, the next time you select the picture frame, that outermost lower-right additional handle now appears.

The curious thing is why that outermost handle at the lower right did not appear immediately after the image was added to the frame.

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

The Outer handle appear once an image has been placed inside and it has had its scaling adjusted using the slider at the bottom. At this point the extra handle appears so the image can be resized with various hot keys options.